Prescribed burn around CSR & other tracks in Western Deserts

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:50
ThreadID: 96240 Views:1975 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have received advice from The Department of Environment and Conservation, who are responsible for the management of fire in Western Australia’s State Forests, National Parks and Nature Reserves that they intend burning in the Western Deserts area and this will include tracks around the Canning Stock Route this JUNE>

I have added this info to our Road Conditions page for the CSR but please be aware that they intend to undertake a prescribed burn across a wide part of the Western Deserts in June 2012. They say they'll use an aircraft to ignite the burn and will endeavour to avoid flying below 500 feet.

A buffer will be maintained around the Canning Stock Route and other tracks. Areas will include UCL around Puntawarri Track and Talawanna Track and Karlyamilyi National Park. Martu traditional owners will be guiding Departmental staff in relation to suitable areas to apply fire as well as avoidance of significant sites.

Should you require more specific information contact them on 9182 2000.

ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:22

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:22
thanks for the heads up we are planning to visit Karlamily in July so will check where they are going to burn.
its a long way to go to look at burnt out country
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488433

Reply By: ExplorOz - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:34

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:34
Yes and I'm thinking it could be potentially unpleasant if there is much smoke about plus a hazy sky. Shame it has to be done at this time of year but you can never tell when the best time to do a job like this might be I guess.

MM
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 488435

Reply By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:38

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:38
We were lucky as we went through a couple of weeks ago, same deal went for the Cape York when we were there, it was a very interesting way of keeping control of the lands.

They do a remarkable job out there and I must say that the fee for the Canning is quite OK with me given the cleanliness of the wells and surrounding areas the custodians do a wonderful job.
AnswerID: 488466

Sponsored Links