Ernest Giles Road Condition???

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:09
ThreadID: 96268 Views:2546 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day fellow nomads! I was wanting to know if any one has travelled along the Ernest Giles Road recently, say in the past 2-3 weeks? What is the current condition of the road? I'll be in the red centre in approx 2 weeks, travelling in a '92 Hilux. Is this worth the shortcut or should I be taking the long way around?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:29

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:29
We came out from the Finke Gorge and there were plenty of road crews working on the road / highway it was in good condition and we were sitting on about 100km/h

That was the week before last

hope that helps

Colin
AnswerID: 488462

Follow Up By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:32

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:32
Hi there I plan on also going through Finke George could you tell me please what the condition is like and how the crossings are? Also is it a well defined track?
Thanks
Hillel
FollowupID: 763664

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:51

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:51
It hs changed a fair bit from what I remember in 2005, there are markers so you will need to keep an eye out for them, there is a crossing across a rocky river bed - pick your line carefully as there is evidence of people badly scraping the bottom of the cars, do you have a lift kit?

We stayed up a little further from this river bed but unfortunately we spent a bit of time cleaning up after other visitors to the area - dig your toilets >300mm and burn the paper. I won't be suprised when I read that the landowners have closed this section as the ignorant campers actually done their business right next to the watercourse and there was dirty paper in the water. Their stock drink the water so I can the justification when the stock get sick.

There are dingos in the area, no problem but be mindful not to leave anything out and if you have kids be very careful as the dingo tracks were within kids footprints.

It is truly gods little mecca in this region, we had just finished the Canning and this topped it off.

Enjoy

Colin
FollowupID: 763670

Reply By: Mark, Michelle & Abraham (NT) - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:13

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:13
First 30kms from Luritja Road intersection (Watarrka/Kings Canyon end) through the sandhills are really rough. Not good for caravans or trailers or non 4WD. Rest is good as previously posted. Do the trip fairly often with work.
Every place visited is a new experience.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488531

Sponsored Links