Victoria River/Gregory National Park history reading recommendations?

Hi all,

Later this year I’m planning to travel through Victoria River district, more specifically Gregory National Park, following the old stock routes and visiting the old Bullita homestead.

Before I go there I would love to know the background and history of the region as for me this makes the journey that much more interesting. Does anyone know of any gem books that relate to this area and its pastoral history? I know there's the internet, but I do prefer a good book!\
I know the whole area has significant history with the Durack family and obviously Victoria River Downs so there’s got to be something out there.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: quincy - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:30

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:30
hi tommo, stayed at bullita last august and are heading back there this august, if you dont mind getting off road there's heaps of driving to do. last weekend stayed at vic river road house last weekend and throughly enjoyed.i know this doesnt help you with a good read but the area is great to visit. quincy
AnswerID: 488463

Reply By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 20:07

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 20:07
Tom,

Check out "Beyond The Big Run" the story of Charlie Schultz who managed Humbert River Station.

Best wishes Viv
AnswerID: 488474

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:02

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:02
I'd love to go and have a good look out that way.

Try Packhorse and Waterhole by Gordon Buchanan.

There's one on Ebay HERE.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488485

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 18:42

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 18:42
Hi,
I was there in 2002, met the lady who owns the farm next to the C'van park at Timber Creek [western end] she also was a volunteer at the old police station museum. Her idol was Gregory the explorer. What she did not know was not worth knowing. She may still be there [ran the local weather station as well].
PeterH
FollowupID: 763720

Sponsored Links