Setup inside your camper trailer

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 22:22
ThreadID: 96278 Views:3892 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. 

The other half and I recently bought a soft floor camper trailer and  we just came back from 2 weeks on Fraser. Had an awesome time apart from the 4 days of miserable weather where we were stuck  in the camper all day. It gave us plenty of time to wonder how people setup inside their camper to make it more comfortable on those ordinary days.

The usual camping chairs can get mighty uncomfortable after a while. Ideas ranged from bean bags to pulling the outdoor lounge at home apart and taking it with us for the long stays.

Just wondering if anybody's had any good ideas that don't involve pulling my garden furniture to pieces? There's only the 2 of us so space isn't a huge problem, but weight obviously is.

Cheers

Lynds
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: walwffoeg - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 04:56

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 04:56
Try better quality camping chairs, there are some very good ones.
We also use the standard 6 dollar jobs and I would agree they arent too comfortable.

Geoff
AnswerID: 488506

Reply By: walwffoeg - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 04:57

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 04:57
Try better quality camping chairs, there are some very good ones.
We also use the standard 6 dollar jobs and I would agree they arent too comfortable.

Geoff
AnswerID: 488507

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 06:41

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 06:41
Hi. After trying a number of different camping chairs over the last couple of years I think I have finally found a really good one. All alloy frame, folds up to a reasonable size,looks more like a chair than a stool when opened and has a couple of pockets etc. The most important part is I have sat in it for a few hours without being uncomfartable. It's called a MAMMOTH by PRIMUS. Not cheap at around $112 each and I only found them (bought two) while travelling through Echuca. Had not come across them even at camping shows before then. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 488512

Reply By: Gerard B2 - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:25

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:25
HI
We have tried a number of chairs and both my wife and I have lower back problems and they all seem to kill you after a while. But we went to BCF camping shop and was reccomended Coleman BCF mesh backing chair ,they have arm rests and legs that are individual which helps on eneven ground. They are so comfortable we have purchased 6 for our deck at home..The good thing is you put them in thei bags when not using and always nice and dust free when visitors here. Cheers
AnswerID: 488517

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:28

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:28
As others have stated, good quality comfortable camping chairs are a must.

We do not stay inside our camper, even in inclement weather.
Both our previous soft floor camper and our current hard floor camper utilise an excellent full size awning which we live under.
We don't feel "cooped up" even when it's raining, but just sit in our camp chairs, do our cooking, reading. etc. "outdoors" whilst being protected by the awning roof.
If the wind is a problem we can add one or more walls, but haven't required this "extreme measure" yet.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488518

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:36

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:36
Hi Bill, that's a really good point. We did the same. Having a awning that you can attach walls seperately is so important. As you say, it is like living outdoors, not stuck inside.

Josh
FollowupID: 763665

Reply By: Member - Josh- Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:33

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:33
Hi Lynds, We had these

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/big-and-tall-harbor-mist-recliner/54592

Can sit in them all day and I even slept in them a couple of times up north on a hot summers night. They fold down pretty well. We also had these

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Wild-Country-4-Shelf-Camp-Cupboard-Grey.aspx?pid=291431&menuFrom=1021206#Description

these meant we could pack stuff away whether food, clothes or general camping gear. It will give you more room. Find some good games, card games, board games etc to play on cold wet days. Whenwe travelled full time we tried to follow the sun (not always possible) but that will limit the wet days. Up north in winter, down south in summer.
Also try to find local attractions (if possible) and don't do them straight away on arrival if rain is possible. Do the fine day activities first, them if it rains you still have wet attractions to go to.
Hope this helps
Josh
AnswerID: 488519

Follow Up By: Member - Niss42 - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 15:15

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 15:15
G'day Lynds, I'm with Josh with the above recliner, we got ours from Ray's.
The only problem we found was when sitting at the table outside, as it was awkward to sit and stand because of the front section of the recliner when lowered, no were to put your feet, old bones dose not help !
However for just sitting around and having that quiet snooze they are great.

Cheers,
Barry
FollowupID: 763695

Reply By: Stan & Jenni - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:49

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:49
Lynds

As all above have said - find a great chair and all the rest just falls into place

Cheers
AnswerID: 488537

Reply By: Kate5 - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 18:46

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 18:46
We spend alot of long weekends away and I love having everything set up with a place. We use an Oztent Rv5 which gives 2 adults lots of room slightly different from a camper but some of these might be new & help a little. We use plastic storage box's for clothes. Ones that stack are good & with the lid on doubles up as a table when needed or for putting your feet up on.
Some light rope around the walls is handy for hanging things like towels up on and s hooks are good for coats and hats.
Last weekend in a rush to get away to a Rodeo I put the last bits and bobs into a washing basket and took it too. I found it came in really handy but will prove to be too bulky for bigger trips with more gear to pack into the hilux I'd say.

Make sure & share anything else you find in the future I'm always looking for new set up ideas.
Kate
AnswerID: 488581

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 17:50

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 17:50
Lynds,

I have two comments

1) It's been said but find a good chair.

My wife and I use very different chairs. I hate hers and she hates mine. Spend some time finding one that suits you.

2) Inside clothes and outside clothes.

If I drive all the way to Fraser Island a little bit of rain is not going to stop me looking around. I keep one set of clothes for outside. Yes they get wet, but not soaked, and yes it is a little uncomfortable but you get used to it. When you get back to the camper get changed before you go inside so that you are not taking damp in with you. An awning with a wall helps with modesty but all my fave spots are pretty lonely so... If I am in a caravan park or popular spot I think about that when I set up.

Duncs
AnswerID: 488636

Sponsored Links