Sunday History Photo / SA

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 03:18
ThreadID: 96318 Views:3833 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Angaston, named after George Fife Angas, was first known as German Pass. Angas had heavily invested in the young colony of South Australia. The area, which is within his seven Special Surveys claimed for him by Charles Flaxman in 1839, was surveyed by Anthony Forster and James Smith in 1841. A year later it had one house and a number of dugouts. A hundred years later it had well over 3,500 residents and nearly seven hundred houses.
Angas encouraged German and British migrants to settle on his land by either leasing or selling it to them. By 1846 there were enough people living in the little town to have a weekly mail delivery. Some of the first settlers were William Hurn, Edwin Davey, Henry Holmes, Joseph Keynes, William Salter, Samuel Smith and James Trescowthick.
However it was Angas' nineteen year old son John Howard Angas, arriving in South Australia in 1843, who looked after his father's investments in South Australia and particularly those in the Barossa Valley. Angas himself came out in 1851, laid out the town and registered it as Angaston on 21 August 1857. By then it was already a proclaimed District Council with Horace Dean as Chairman. The first councillors were; William Salter, George Fife Angas, Captain Richard Rodda and William Coulthard.

Image Could Not Be Found

The first church to be completed, in 1844 with money donated by Angas, was The Union Chapel at Penrice, to be used by all the different religions. The foundation stone was laid on 3 November 1843 by Mrs Evans, daughter of G.F. Angas. After the ceremony about thirty people had tea on the grass and had a very pleasant evening. When the population had increased to such an extent that this chapel became too small it was decided in 1854 by the Methodists to build their own. In 1855 the Union Congregation built a new and larger church in Angaston. When completed, the Reverend John Hannay, son-in-law of George Fife Angas, led its congregation for the next ten years. After the split of 1861 in the Lutheran Church, it became a Baptist Church until 1928. It is now known as the Zion Lutheran Church.

Image Could Not Be Found

After the completion of the first church it only took two years for the first hotel to be constructed. This was the Angaston Hotel in 1846. A year later Doctor Horace Dean came to town and built Franklin House in 1847. The doctor was also a Stipendiary Magistrate and later a local Councillor. When the Angaston District Council was formed it held its first meeting at his house.
By 1849 a second hotel was built and licensed in 1851. This was the New Inn and built by William Doddridge. William arrived in South Australia in 1840 and first settled on Kangaroo Island. The hotel was later known as the Commercial Hotel and finally Barossa Hotel. Doddridge also built a blackmith's shop on land he had bought from J.G. Schilling in 1849. A second storey to the hotel was added in 1884 and it is now known as the Brauhaus Hotel.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

All Angaston needed now was a police station. It was Angas, who had in 1836 already pushed for the establishment of a South Australian Police Force, who donated the land and materials and in 1856 the Barossa Valley's first police station was completed. But there were also many other improvements in the town. A library was founded in 1856 and within ten years both the number of books and customers had increased to such an extent that a much larger building was needed. In 1867 it was decided to cater for several interests of the town's residents and built an Institute, large enough to have room for a library, reading room, meeting room especially for the Masons, and a large meeting room for public gatherings. The building, on land donated by Angas, was opened in 1870 by Howard Angas.

In 1866 the town got its first banking facilities with the opening of the National Bank. The Bank of Adelaide opened its doors in January 1894.
During these years there were many births, marriages and deaths recorded in Angaston. On 10 May 1860, the wife of T.J. Hodges had a son, on 14 June the wife of George French Angas had a daughter at Collingrove and on 25 September Mrs J.H. Field had a daughter. On 5 February 1861, Mrs Robert Carter had a son, Mrs William Cameron also had a son on 29 May 1862 and Mrs E.P. Nesbit had a daughter on 5 December of that year. The Player family had an addition almost every year during most of the 1860s. On 23 August 1864 Mrs W. Clarke had a son and Mrs D.B. Adamson a son on 31 October.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

The photo's above of the old house and the info I have provided is correct, it is where me old man was born. not at a hospital. I think that house is heritage listed now.
Image Could Not Be Found

From the 1870s onward Angaston expanded and some people even looked beyond the town for investment or living. On 24 September 1874, James Angas Johnson invested in three suburban sections at the newly opened town of Wirrabara. Industries had become firmly established and most of the town buildings, particularly those in the main street made use of marble, quarried from the 1870s onwards at the Angaston Marble Quarries, by William and James Sibley. In 1885 the Eureka flourmill was completed by Edwin Davey with money he had made on the Victorian goldfields.

By the turn of the century it were the settled families of Angas, Evans, Sage, Salter and Smith who enhanced the Valley's reputation for agriculture and wine. The railway arrived in 1911, once again with the help of the Angas Family who had tried for more than forty years to have the line from Gawler extended to Angaston, and a start was made with a proper Town Hall. By 1916 C.H. Angas of Lindsay Park used his Rolls Royce car to inspect the family's investments and show visitors around the town and valley.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 07:39

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 07:39
Thanks again Doug

Alan
AnswerID: 488689

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 08:44

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 08:44
Well done mate, you must spend hours every Saturday night doing this!
The campfire went cold & the beer got warm waiting for you to come back, he he he.
AnswerID: 488692

Reply By: Crazy Dog - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:00

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:00
Good one Doug,,

Good old South Aussie.. I still to this day miss those old towns..

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 488694

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:15

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:15
To Doug,
You have been doing this for many years now & I, plus many others silently enjoy what you do, thank you.

In that time Doug i've noticed you have also attracted some criticism for your efforts, to those detractors I say this.

If you think you can do better, over as many years, week in & week out then do so. Do not bleet on about Doug's methods, just enjoy it for what it is & that is, some light reading of interesting fact about this fair land of ours. Please don't detract from this if you are not ready to "do better"

Keep up your good work Doug, thanks mate.

AnswerID: 488697

Reply By: glids - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:08

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:08
I would like to add my thanks to Doug for his efforts - a Sunday morning ritual is to read his entries.

I would also like to add a few comments about this week's story...
* A descendant of one of the earliest settlers, William Hurn is the current Mayor of the Barossa Council, Mr Brian Hurn OAM.
* Doug mentioned 'Collingrove' - this area is the site of the 'Collingrove Hillclimb', located about 7km SE of Angaston. This year will be the 60th Anniversary of this legendary racing car event.
* Lindsay Park, located about 3km SE of Angaston was for a number of years the home of Lindsay Park Stud and the Hayes Racing Stables.
* Doug also mentioned the Angaston Marble Quarries and the Union Chapel at Penrice. Penrice Soda Holdings now operate the quarry, and to quote from their website: 'Established in the late 1930’s, Penrice Soda Holdings Limited is the only manufacturer in Australia of soda ash, a vital ingredient in products ranging from glass containers (especially wine bottles) to washing powder, and sodium bicarbonate, used in applications as diverse as animal feed, food and pharmaceuticals.

Keep up the great work, Doug!
glids

AnswerID: 488701

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:22

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:22
"The Player family had an addition almost every year during most of the 1860s."

Player by name and player by nature!

Thanks Doug.

AnswerID: 488704

Reply By: kevmac....(WA) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 16:06

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 16:06
I dont even know half this stuff and I was born and raised in South Australia..........always enjoy your history lessons @ lunchtime on Sundays
AnswerID: 488729

Reply By: kevmac....(WA) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 16:06

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 16:06
I dont even know half this stuff and I was born and raised in South Australia..........always enjoy your history lessons @ lunchtime on Sundays
AnswerID: 488730

Sponsored Links