keeping the doonas on

Submitted: Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:11
ThreadID: 96334 Views:1814 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Looking for suggestions on how to keep the doonas on the kids sleeping bags? They will have thermal blankets on the inside of their bags but on the outside....The only solution I can come up with is to velcro them together however I think they would become a pain when not used together. Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

I suppose I could possibly pin it with lge safety pins....oh I don't know...please help?

3 more weeks and we're outa here! Yahoooooo!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:18

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:18
Press studs.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 488780

Reply By: Ol' Bunky - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 06:58

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 06:58
Staple them in.......
AnswerID: 488784

Follow Up By: Hunter Gatherer - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:49

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:49
THE KIDS ?????????????????
FollowupID: 763950

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:05

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:05
There are sleeping bags and sleeping bags.

Some don't need doonas at all. I bought a "fairy Down" bag in 1969 and it is still going fine. I have slept in the snow with this bag and covered myself in snow. This meant zero degrees which is easy to handle in a sub zero bag.

You don't say where they are sleeping. If they are on the ground or close to it then insulation from the ground becomes more important than covering on top.
Closed cell sleeping mats have fantastic insulation.

If they are on airbeds, put the insulation on top of the air Mattress. Air mattress is lousy for insulation.

Alan
AnswerID: 488785

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:57

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:57
I think your on the ball there Alan. Our girls slept on stretcher beds and we found having a blanket under them was more important than on top of them. Get a good quality sleeping bag and put something under them and they should be right. The coldest we had was -4 degrees and no complaints until it came time to get out of bed.

Josh
FollowupID: 763934

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:15

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:15
Dare I say it mum, but perhaps you are worrying too much?
A thermal blanket, plus the sleeping bag, plus a doona over the top sounds over the top to me for a camping setup inside a tent or camper.

Perhaps let the kids adjust their own bedding depending if they are hot or cold?

Depending on what we are sleeping in, two layers are sufficient.
When using our tent and swags, a sleeping bag opened out and used as an internal doona is warm enough, with the canvas flap used infrequently.

In our camper, just a doona thrown over the top of the bed sheets and we are warm as toast and that is without pyjamas which we detest.

If the kids get too hot, they will throw off the extra layers regardless of how they are attached.

Don't worry so much and simply enjoy your trip.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488786

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:45

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 07:45
Its a physics problem reallly and you need an increase in the friction of the Donnas cover.

We changed our Donna cover to flaneltte Princess (how do you spell that) . this has side benefit of being warmer as well.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488789

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:03

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:03
When it's cold, chilly or snowing we have the grandkids sleep in socks and between us and a big queen sized wool filled doona over all of us. We do not use sleeping bags.

Other times they just use their sleeping bags. We also use the same doona all year. No need for sleeping bags. Same as at home. We have a good warm roof top tent that has good big windows to open in the hot times, and just the right amount of ventilation for the cold. But we also have the spare room to enable us to carry the big doona.
AnswerID: 488795

Reply By: Begaboy - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:06

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:06
AS others have mentioned , buy good quality sleeping bags with thermal rating - i have a good one ( don't recall brand name ) and i am very warm in -2 deg ( but have to wear a beenie as i have no hair lol )

Another thing to note - don't jump into your sleeping bag fully dressed up ie jumpers jackets trackies - all your doing is insulating yourself against the properties of the sleeping bag - allowing your body heat out into the bag will make you very warm inside the sleeping bag in about 10 min - being totally kitted up and you feel cold all night and not to mention not comfortable ... never needed any additional dooners , only for sleeping on to make bed softer

BB
AnswerID: 488800

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 16:49

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 16:49
Friends solved the same problem by using a second sleeping bag, one inside the other, then got rid of the doona.

Regards

Scrubby
AnswerID: 488822

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:10

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:10
Hi Princess

Clip the doona to the sleeping bag with larger sized "fold back" clips from a stationery outlet.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488835

Reply By: Member - Dirt Princess - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 21:16

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 21:16
Okay Okay so maybe I am over reacting just a little. So what you are saying is having stretcher beds with lambswool linings and -7 degree sleeping bags, with thermal underwear and thermal blankets and a wool doona will definately work for them and if all else fails put on the socks, beenie and gloves then press stud them in or buy a second sleeping bag and put one inside the other. Right! Great thanks for that everyone. At least I know my Grandies wont go cold. And there is no way I am sharing my 12 vlt electric blanket widdem. It'll be mine, mine and all mine, oh and hubby's as well...he.he.he
Oh yeah and what about the mini hot water bottles I bought them...Oh... don't bother to answer that one;)

We spent a very very cold night at Southern Cross the last time and they had the sleeping bags up on stretchers, summer doonas and the socks, beenies and gloves and the poor mites froze. Just didn't want to do that to them again. Hope you all understand. Thank you again.
AnswerID: 488858

Sponsored Links