Camping Tents, Quality And Price?

Hi guys,

I want to go camping with the hubby and am looking to buy a tent for the two of us. I was looking at some of the cheaper tents at Deals Direct and can pick up something for $16.95?

Camping Tents from Deals Direct?

I am not going to use the tent regularly, do you think it would be a good option? Or I should go with something a little bit more expensive and roomy like a Coleman?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GT Campers - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:57

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:57
wow a tent for $16.95.. that'd be real good quality.

that reminds me of a joke: a kid puts 10c into one of those lolly/prize machines you see at supermarkets. He's delivered a chocolate lolly ring and his little sister says: wow, is that a REAL chocolate lolly ring?
To which the kid replies: Well, if it isn't, I've been ripped off 10 cents!

AnswerID: 488802

Reply By: escapesilv - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 13:03

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 13:03
Hi Sarah J.

I would not buy that $16.95 tent, as you will find it of dreadful quality.

Get something that you can have a look at in a shop, and imagine how you will fit all you gear in it, that you will be comfortable in it (even if the weather is not the very best) and want to go out with it again.

If you have a first bad experience you wont want to go again.

Cheers Rob.

AnswerID: 488804

Follow Up By: Sarah J - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 14:03

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 14:03
Thanks Rob,

I'll check out Anaconda in Auburn (Sydney) and see what they have.

You have the right idea. Try before you buy :p

Sarah
FollowupID: 763952

Reply By: sweetnam - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 15:14

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 15:14
WOW GT - that was a bit patronising.

I wouldn't buy a $16.95 tent, but have used the $40 & $50 KMart ones many times.

You use them for a while - they end up dying - then buy another one.

KMart - BCF - Annaconda all have budget ranges of tents that are fine for using here and there.

All the best
AnswerID: 488809

Reply By: bushmonk - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 16:07

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 16:07
I bought the Coleman Traveller 3 CV and absolutely love it! It is small and compact, easy to set up and has a stronger base and stitching used in it. Also has midgie mesh instead of regular flyscreen. Set it up over 100 times now and is good as the day i bought it. I paid $120 but i'm sure if you looked at online sellers and camping store sale days you might even pick it up cheaper now. :)
AnswerID: 488815

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 17:56

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 17:56
Mmm, do shop around, but don't expect online to be cheaper than bricks and mortart stores all the time.

I recently bought an Outdoor Connection Escape 6 dome.
Large enough for me and the missus, plus teen daughter when she joins us, and all our gear inside easily.
http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/4470733/outdoor-connection-escape-6-person-tent-with-vestible.html

This was $250 + ship form Kellys link above, got it from local Christies Camping in Adelaide for $219, nothing special just emailed them and asked what their price was.

Sure, you need to guy out dome tents well if windy weather is likely, but most times it's fine with basic setup.

Sarah, I would look at the Outdoor Connection Escape 4, a 4 person dome that gives plenty of room for double camping matress and sleeping bag, plus bags and personal gear down the sides.
This tent also has very good ventilation with the usual array of zip down windows, but also some unique low windows for side flow on those warmer nights.
A very well made tent, not too heavy / bulky when packed, with well covered entry and you can pole out the door as an awning too.

Links . . .

http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/4470732/outdoor-connection---escape-4-person-dome-tent-with-vestibule.html

http://www.christiescamping.com.au/index.php/selectedContent/1874019198?currentDriven=14979640¤tContent=1052456792&PHPSESSID=0a89dd6990d1468b9fd69dd2f958de33

I use shadecloth under it and it keeps dirt etc out of the tent, doesn't pooli fit's raining, and is easy to shake off, fold up, and pack away.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-huDk9Af8xfQ/T9cu2hh8XgI/AAAAAAAAAgE/rBXYibsyvak/s1116/hopes_gully_023.jpg

Cheers,
Les
FollowupID: 763967

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 17:38

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 17:38
You will find that you have a better experience if you can stand up in the tent to do things like get changed etc. Those light dome tents get knocked flat by wind and will hit you as you sleep. Still its no good paying a fortune for something you may not use again. I reckon it is better to ease into it at small cost and upgrade if you see a future in it. You will better know what you want after some practical experience. Cheers
AnswerID: 488829

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:00

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:00
Some of those cheaply tents are fine for fair wether camping, they will not last a long time but for the price who cares,. In the past I have taken two for the kids with the expectation that they will break one mid trip wrestling etc in it.

The one you have noted is narrow and may not fit your bedding mattress? Don't know what you have in that department but I find two single mattresses better to stow than a double one

Rather than buy online I think I would at one of the camping chain stores for one, they are always on special and you can see what you are getting, look for midget mesh screens and ones with thicker poles will handle the weather better

It is a good idea to start with a cheapy type tent anyway so you get an idea of what suits your needs before having a big spend.
AnswerID: 488832

Sponsored Links