Supermarket nationwide pricing.

Submitted: Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 17:22
ThreadID: 96344 Views:2174 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Nationwide pricing of grocery items was introduced a couple of years (?) ago by Aldi with the other two major supermarkets following suit. Recently on a trip thru SW Queensland we spent a week camping along the Balonne River and needed to restock the pantry so drove into Roma, shopped at Big W and were astounded at the prices over what we are used to in Sydney. I asked a local about the "Nationwide Pricing" and was told that holds true....but Big W add transport costs, what a rort ! BTW Aldi don't add these costs but unfortunately they don't have many stores in Queensland.
If you live in outback Queensland and don't work in a mine earning big money it must be hard to make ends meet with rent, food and fuel right up there.

rr VKE237 6678

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Honky - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 17:54

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 17:54
Only on advertised specials, even in the same town if they have more than one Woolies the prices can differ specially with Veges.

This happens a lot in Dubbo NSW.

Honky
AnswerID: 488830

Reply By: Member - Josh- Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:00

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:00
Our company spends about a million dollars a years on transport alone and we send no where near as much as Big W does. Someone has to pay for it. You can't expect to pay to same price in a remote town or smaller town as you do in a capital city.
Most of these price matching qimmicks have so many conditions they can get out of them if they want.

Josh
AnswerID: 488833

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:07

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:07
Living in the country, higher prices is a fact of life. Yes, it is hard to make ends meet. Freight costs are high and rising. I have worked in a rural grocery store so know the scenario well.

Further afield, not only is the freight cost higher, but turnover is less in smaller places, with overheads of running the shop to be covered by price, pushing prices up even further. Large chains may be able to do a bit of 'averaging' across their stores - the private or small operator cannot.

Pay the price, and help them to still be in business next time someone needs to shop in that town.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488834

Follow Up By: racinrob - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:16

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:16
My point was that they advertise Nationwide Pricing which to me means same price everywhere, Aldi do it so why can't the big two ?
I accept that we have to pay extra for transport to remote areas and I shop in small towns to support their traders but if you advertise something and then add a transpot cost that's not playing the game IMHO.

rr VKE327 6678
FollowupID: 763972

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:37

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 18:37
I do not recall Woolies and Coles saying they had nation wide pricing - indeed the opposite - they have always said they price to be competitive in the local area not nation wide.

As far as I am aware, like you have said it is only Aldi that has a nation wide pricing policy.

Garry
FollowupID: 763975

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 19:06

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 19:06
Hi Garry,
I believe Coles came out and said they would have Nation Wide pricing about 12 months ago, which was a crook from the start. Here in Grafton there are two Coles stores, The store in the big shopping center is dearer on some items then the older Coles store. And they carry slightly different lines of stock, while one carries brand X, the other will carry the same brand but a different size package or not even carry that item at all.

I believe Coles, which is under the Wesfarmers umbrella as with the big green boxes have different pricing structures depending on the size of the store. The big green boxes also work on the principal of Free Into Store. It is the supplier that pays freight if they want their product on the shelf, Maybe BigW doesn't work on that. Manufacturers desperate to have their product on their shelves will pay freight, It's a volume thing too.
And who eventually pays for this? The smaller outlets and their customers.
Dan Murphy's is another eg, They drop their price to under cut the competition, They don't lose out, the brewer jacks up they price to the other outlets to pay for it.
So no matter how you try and not shop with the big boys, they still screw everyone.
All we can do is pay more and spend the money with the local guys to keep their doors open.

FollowupID: 763977

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 21:38

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 21:38
I dont recall nationwide pricing. Not saying they didn't .... just saying
FollowupID: 763995

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:05

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:05
They never had a nation wide advertising campaign about it, Choice magazine had approached them and a Coles representative was sprucing how that if you walked into "Any" Coles supermarket the price would be the same across the country.
One of the those PR stunts that they have have every now & then.
Just like the Big Green Boxes, with the 10% off the Price Difference. If it is $1 difference, they will give you 10 cents off the difference in price. They also have manufacturers produce a line just for them, so the other hardware stores don't stock the Exact same product, it may look identical, but it will have a different model number. Therefore they don't have to do their 10% "OFF" the price difference.
It's all smoke & mirrors to get the gullible.
Anyway, I'm drifting OT.
FollowupID: 764008

Reply By: quincy - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 19:49

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 19:49
racinrob, i work for a big supermarket in the northern territory, my prices arent that much different to southern capital cities BUT i do have a $350, 000 month freight bill thats real and you think thats a 'RORT", as not much gets produced in the NT, so have to get my milk from Brisbane 3500kms away, my produce 3000 kms away and 90% of my grocies from 3000kms away. i live in a town not driven by BIG earning mining we are just hard working aussie girls and guys . if your not happy about paying the prices in the outback of this beautiful country THEN dont travel it, stay at home and be sad there.quincy
AnswerID: 488843

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 20:53

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 20:53
Well said!
FollowupID: 763986

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:25

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:25
Agreed!!

I have shopped Coles across the country and found the prices in Alice Springs, Port Augusta and Kalgoorlie to name but three stores the same as my local Coles in Melbourne in all but a few items like meat which they obviously source from local suppliers were possible.

Its a bit like fuel costs, if your not prepared to pay the price then stay home.

Remember its all going to get a worse becasue of Gillards great big new bullshit tax!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764009

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:49

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:49
Well said quincy, if you have to pay a little bit extra in the bush the so be it.
I have travelled extensively throughout Australia, I am happy to support the people that are willing to set up businesses in the middle of no were so travellers can keep travelling.

John (Vic) I am happy to pay the little extra that the carbon tax may add, fortunately don't listen to the dribble from Abbott, Allen Jones, Andrew bolt, or the Murdoch media.
FollowupID: 764028

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:53

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:53
No worries mate, I understand that you must be one of the 27% who believes all.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764033

Reply By: andoland - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 20:35

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 20:35
I wasn't aware they had nationwide pricing. It's well known that Coles and Woolies will have different prices at different stores in the same town/city. The various current affairs shows have covered this issue and one surprise was that often the higher prices were in stores located in lower socio-economic areas rather than in more affluent areas where you would think they would jack up prices.

AnswerID: 488848

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 21:05

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 21:05
I live in regional Vic and also see transport cost being used as an excuse to put additional charges on grocery items , but the bigger rort is fuel pricing using transport cost as an excuse..
Back last century, the 20th one, fuel was always the same price right across the State. The transport costs were averaged out between the city, where it was cheaper to deliver and the country, ie, the urban motorists were subsidizing the rural transport costs.
Then came the economic rationalist and their Vodoo economics, then the greed factor came to play and city motorist got cheaper fuel and country folk got it in the neck. As they day the rest is history!
AnswerID: 488855

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 13:57

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 13:57
well i live in "outback QLD" and i pay for freight, i will gladly send all my freight invoices to you to pay for if you think that is a better way to do it, but that is why the bulk of people live in the citys so the avoid freight costs .... is it not ???
It is ONLY the city slickers that complain about grocery pricing, fuel pricing and so on as simply they DONT have a clue as to how the real world lives, where do you think your MILK comes from and how does it get to you, in a pipeline or "FREIGHTED" (for free??) and you meat ?? does it come from the supermarkets or a FARM in the country ?????
If you think it is a rort and blame the real people that are working HARD to put food on YOUR plate then please stay home eh, we enjoy it out here, we EXPECT to pay more and are happy about that as we have a GOOD lifestyle ...... after all i do ask ??? why did you camping ??? to get away from the shitholes that you live in, if it was as good as some say and being CHEAP makes life worth living them you would not come out to see us in our ripp-off towns with our ripp-off shops and ripp-off petrol .........
Cheers
Joe
(remote ripp-off country QLD)
AnswerID: 488906

Follow Up By: racinrob - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 15:44

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 15:44
Joe n Mel, my post wasn't so much about freight, it was about the big two saying they would have Nationwide Pricing but then adding transport costs and don't think in the city we don't pay freight costs. Your rant about people working hard etc etc was off the subject, I have worked hard all my life and don't expect a free ride but I do object to being touched along.
There are good points and bad about living in the city and the same applies to living in the bush after all its a free country and we can make our own choices where we live.
Your remark about staying at home, I'm retired and spend about 18 weeks or more a year travelling and in round figures spend roughly $1,000 a week on food, fuel and frills like coffee in country towns and without travellers like me a lot of these country towns would shrivel up and die.
I also have a HZJ75 towing my 'van so I can't be all bad .
Regards to ya,
rr VKE237 6678
FollowupID: 764056

Sponsored Links