Caravan/4x4 Gizmo's

Submitted: Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 19:56
ThreadID: 96346 Views:2150 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
we are about to do the around the australia trip with our nissan navara 4x4 and either jayco expanda with bunks or Jayco starcraft with bunks. For those tat have done a bit of travelling do you have any advice or tips you would like to share? as in certain things you yourself have put into your van/fourby to make things easier ie, hooks/containers etc for certan items
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry 2 - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:03
Hi Kime

We have been traveling around / across, up and down Aussie for 30 yrs mostly Off Road and still not expert at it, Ha, Ha.

These are a few of our thoughts......

We have always subscribed to the K.I.S.S principal ( Keep It Simple Simon )
and it has held us in good stead no major problems to date. ( Shouldn't have said that !! )

If you are traveling Off Road especially try and allow as much time as you can don't rush, overload Van/vehicle allow time to stop and smell the roses.
Nearly in all cases we have helped people or seen broken down it is usually attributed to Too much speed, Too Heavy, tyres and vehicle fail.

What to take - Now that's the Million dollar question ??
If you can't find more than one use for the item chances are you don't need it.
It's very easy to fall into the trap "Oh I might need this and that " !!!!!!!

Square plastic containers pack lot better, sturdy pots, utilities stand up better to travel. Malimine plates, cups we find great.
Containers with good locking seal/lids travel far better.

What you have at home you don't need out on the track.
The last thing you need at the end of a trying day is to spend ages setting up camp. We use to have a camper trailer with all the bells and whistles Awning and all the walls etc etc we found 90% of the time we only used the awning.
A couple of cheap tarps to tie up if needed for protection from the wind /weather again light stuff.

LED lighting is fantastic saves the poor battery ( the hardest working piece of kit you will have ) We have changed all our lighting to LED.

A great idea I pinched by looking around caravan parks Hose clamp on tent/awning poles leave attached to pole then loosen and adjust up to hold the pole in it's position great when windy stops pole slowly collapsing.

For portable water we use a 20/10 ltr plastic container with a caravan type water hand pump attached through the plastic lid of the container saves having to lift container or put up with those useless plastic taps they come with.

Food - No need to take excessive amounts there are Coles/Woolly's every where these days we also try to support the locals were ever we go amazing what you can find out or be pointed in the right direction best fishing spot etc if you take time to get to know a local and spend a little bit of money in there town. Depending how off the beaten track you intend to stray always carry enough extra food /water for those few extras days you may have a problem .

UHF radio is useful for communicating on the road and emergency.

When you think you have it right do a shake down trip before you leave for the big one to get a feel for what you might need.
Every trip is different and there are things you need one trip and not another.

These are some of our thoughts hope they help, happy to answer any other queries you may have.

Have a great trip

Cheers
Barry.

AnswerID: 488922

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 13:58

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 13:58
Hi Kime,

Akk our lighting is LED as this allows the batteries to last longer.
I also have an 80 watt solar panel which keeps the battery topped up all the time and I do not have to worry about batteries (2 X 100Amps) going flat

I found that I could not charge my camera batteries when away from 240V power, which is most of the time these days when on the road.
So I purchased from ebay a couple of spare batteries and a 12 volt charger for both the video camera and the still camera. Now I never worry about not having power to take a video or photo. All plug into a cig socket.

I also purchased a 12 volt shaver which plugs into a cig socket as well. Now, except for Microwave and Airconditioner, I do not need 240V power at all.

In fact when I pull into a caravan park I am wasting my time hooking on to their power. The solar panel is that good.

I also have a 12 volt Lap Top power supply which plugs into the cig socket as well.

I have installed a couple of extra cig sockets for Laptop and shaver.

PS. I do not even worry about a genny even though I have one I leave it at home now.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489017

Sponsored Links