Colorado Clutch problem

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:15
ThreadID: 96359 Views:14662 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
The caretaker here has a 2010 Colorado, he has been having a problem with the clutch ....I would presume it's the Slave cylinder on the bell housing loosing fluid, so he bought a new cylinder, bled the system and it's still loosing oil into the bell housing...
we are wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grant L - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:40
Hi Doug
I also have colorado 2010 3.0ltr turbo diesel, sounds like engine oil or gearbox oil entering the bell housing not clutch fluid could be rear main bearing seal gone, or coming from gearbox (not likely).
AnswerID: 488892

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:23

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:23
hi doug t
if a slave cylinder leaks from my experience of them they are externally fitted on the bell housings of every vehicle i have seen (excluding any irish built ones lol )
the fluid would drip off onto the ground not go into the bell housing in general
terms
there could be exceptions where it might be wind forced past a damaged rubber boot of the clutch fork depending where it is on the b/housing in relation to the
clutch-fork booteven though its a 2010 model fubber boots can have a stick go through them any time in rough conditions

i would , like others believe that the engine rear seal is leaking and/or the gearbox front seal but more likely to be the engine rear seal but in saying that ****

is the clutch slipping or shuddering which are usuall related symptoms of oil on or between the pressure and clutch plate
was it losing fluid before putting new slave cylinder on ?????
was it crunching gears???
if the clutch fluid level keeps dropping in the master cylinder it would most likely be the fluid pipe fitting is x-threaded into the slave cylinder body which in that case you will see c/fluid dripping from around the pipe union or
check to see if there is a crack in the fluid pipe between the master clinder and slave cylinders and it might be seeping down the pipe from higher up
slide the fingers along and up the pipe to see if it is wet which could have been caused by a flying rock or maybe a stick whacking the pipe
if the master cylinder is faulty usually the pedal will have not much pressure and will go the the floor and stay down there
if the slave cylinder is faulty the fluid usually by-passes the internal cup with-out moving the clutch fork and hence not opening the pressure plate which makes it impossible to get any gears and/or crunching them hope you can follow this somewhat lenghty imfo
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 488900

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:20

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:20
The gearbox works fine, Clutch will work after he bleeds it, then it looses fluid and gets air in the system , the fluid inside the bell housing is not oil, it's brake/clutch fluid. it seems to be getting past the seals and yet it's a new part.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764043

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:55
" they are externally fitted on the bell housings of every vehicle i have seen (excluding any irish built ones lol ) "

Barry,
Out of interest, the VW Amarok has the slave cyl on the inside of the bellhousing and they have been failing!
phil
FollowupID: 764078

Follow Up By: splits - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:03
" it seems to be getting past the seals and yet it's a new part. "

Doug

It can still have something wrong with it. I have seen things like that happen many times during the years I worked on new cars. The worst example I can remember was the high gear clutch drum seal on Holden Powerglide automatic transmissions. It would partially roll out of position on the assembly line and leak. I must have fixed at least a dozen.

Take the cylinder out and if it is leaking that badly, there will be fluid all over it. Peel back the edge of the rubber boot and more should pour out. If that is the case then the seal around the piston is either leaking or broken. It will be under warranty so just take it back to the dealer and get another one.
FollowupID: 764097

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 22:22

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 22:22
hi phil g
thanks for the imfo have never looked under an amarok
and i new full well when i made that comment someone would pick me up on it and have a go at me the fish are usually more active on here than in the ocean - lol
its a plus as

i have learnt something else so my comment wasnt really wasted was it
cheers
FollowupID: 764123

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:39

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:39
Has anyone got a diagram of the Slave cylinder in a workshop manual , the owner is not sure about the placement of a washer where the feed line connects, is it directly under the bolt head, or is it under the connector pipe.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 488909

Follow Up By: Graham & Lynne - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:51

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:51
Doug you need two seal washers he has lost one.
One under dolt head other between fitting and slave cylinder.
Thanks Graham
FollowupID: 764076

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:33
Doug - Here is the Rodeo Common Rail 4JJ1 - Might be the same

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 764165

Reply By: Pradobob - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 15:19

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 15:19
Doug, sometimes these leaks are hard to isolate. I would get the vehicle up on blocks or ramps so that you have easy access to get in there and clean up the whole area with metho. (make sure everything has cooled down 1st) Then wash it down with detergent and water. Wait 'til it dries, get under and observe what happens when the clutch is operated several times in succession. Be patient, because the leak may not be immediately evident. No need to have the engine running. (safety reasons) You may be able to see the source of the leak that way. (eg Have you peeled the boot back on the new cylinder?)
Cleanliness is important. Hard to trace a leak if the surrounding area is covered in oily muck.
Cheers,
Bob.
AnswerID: 488911

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:34

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:34
Doug, just a thought it sounds like the m/cyl may have a problem.
Nearly impossible for hydraulic fluid to get into bell housing from slave cyl.
Be aware that the engine oil is very light, could you confuse this with b/fluid?
Hope this helps
Bushy.
AnswerID: 488914

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:37

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:37
Bushy

I have no idea ...it's not my 4x4, I'm just going by what he's told me and trying to offer some help.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764062

Reply By: Rosss- Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:55
Colorado's have a problem with rear main seal leaking, have had mine replaced under warranty, also two bell housing bolts go straight into oil galleries in the back of the block, have had those done under warranty as well, so common that the dealer has the parts on the shelf for both fixes.

cheers Ross.
AnswerID: 488916

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 21:53
If it is leaking fluid into the bell housing the piston primary seal in the new cylinder is faulty/no good.
Has to be replaced.

These cylinders are closecoupled to the bell housing and the push rod can't be seen. It might also pay to check the length of the push rod isn't allowing the piston to travel too far out of the cylinder.

It is either cylinder travel too far OR most likely faulty new cylinder.
If it is a 2010 model the cylinder shouldn't be stuffed and a seal kit may be all that is required to get it back to serviceable. It shouldn't be worn/scored or pitted just yet.

PS If the vehicle has been serviced recently by the dealer. The DUD or DUDE, you choose, who adjusted the release bearing freeplay, may have adjusted the rod too short and allowing the piston to fail.
SO, if it happened just after a service you know who is at fault, don't we.

Ross M
AnswerID: 488978

Reply By: GT Campers - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:32

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:32
...is it too far from a dealer for warranty?
AnswerID: 489023

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:39

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:39
105Klms....

It's in the local garage now getting looked at. IT'S NOT MY VEHICLE.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764159

Sponsored Links