Connie Sue Hwy

Afternoon all. In August I will be travelling to Warakurna (Giles) and the Rawlinson Range. My schedule allows me 7-8 days to get there from Perth. One option open to me is to travel the full length of the Connie Sue from Cocklebiddy to Warburton (Bit of a long winded trip I know), and then GCR to Warakurna.

My question of those who have travelled this stretch of corrugations is how long would you allow, subject to prevailing weather & track conditions, to do a bit of sight seeing along the way and not busting a gut or vehicle in the process?

Also what can I expect in the southern portion of the track below Neale Junction?

I can get to Cocklebiddy easily in 2 days and will be towing an off-road camper trailer.

Thanks
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:21

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 16:21
Gidday Duncan

I have been out in this area twice in recent years. last year we travelled from a camp at Neale Junction to Warburton in two fairly easy days with an overnight stop at Cooper Ck (yes there is another one) where, by the way, there was a solar equppedbore. The track is fairly typical, with some windy bits, a lot or corros (but not the worst I have seen) and some rocky bits. the top section of the track near the BCR was badly washed out, probably the result of the two major rain events in the area early last year, It was slow going with diversions around the worst bits but not terribly difficult. There were a couple of camper trailers in the group and they had no difficulties.
A few years earlier I was in a group that went south on the Connie Sue from Neale Junction, we didn't go as far as Cocklebiddy, turning off to join the Trans Line road at Kitchener. That was a better track but it was dry when we were there and some large bulldust holes were a sign of what it might be like in the wet. We were in a bit more of a hurry that time and had only an overnight between Neale Junction and Kalgoorlie.
Others can give you a report on the road through to Rawlinna and Cocklebiddy.
It is a great part of the country with some lovely woodlands and the diversion off the Connie Sue into the Neale Breakaway is well worth it.

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 488913

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:43
Thanks for the reply Rocco, I've done a section of the Connie Sue between the Pt Lillian turn-off (we trekked overland to Pt Lilian) to the Parallel Rd No 2 so I've been to Cooper Creek but at that time all there was was the bore casing. Yet to do the other bits from Neale Junction and above the Parallel Rd.

A mate I was speaking to this afternoon suggested also using the Trans Line and then turn North at the CS. Worth considering.

thanks

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764088

Reply By: wizzer73 - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:32
Did the connie sue last year in May. Didn't find the corrugations bad at all. The bit south of Neale Junction was wet and very slippery. Alot of the track is limestone track and clay. it took us about 7 hrs to do the last 150kms due to the mud/clay. Personally I think 4 to 5 days is plenty for the connie sue but you could spend longer sight seeing/exploring.
If it has had a lot of rain south of Neale Junction I would give it a miss.

Your other otpion would be the Anne Beadel to Neal Junction, then head north up the connie sue.

wizzer
AnswerID: 488927

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:45
Thanks wizzer, had thought of that also. At this stage as I said looking at options and a chance to see a bit more that just a corrugated bush track.

Cheers

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764089

Reply By: lindsay - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:51

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:51
A coulle of years ago we camped at Neale J. then down to Rawlinna where we camped on the rail line about 10 to 15 Ks east of the siding. Then next day down to Cocklebiddy by lunch the next day. As you travel south about 30 ks past the turn off to Plumridge Lakes , the main road will veer south east to the Cable Haul raod and the Connie Sue will just be a track going south and the closer you get to the rail line the rockier and slower it will get where you will have to pick your way through the rocks. To accesss the track going to Cocklebiddy you will need to go east for 26 ks and head on the east side of the dog fence for about 45 ks till you reach the main track from Rawlinna to Cocklybiddy. The owners of Rawlinna don't want people going through there property. They are trying to get the Govt to survey a road up through that way.
Lindsay.
AnswerID: 488930

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:48
Thanks for the heads up Lindsay, almost sounds more trouble than its really worth heading up from Cocklebiddy.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764090

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:30

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:30
What a ripper destination Dunc!!!

If you find Alfred let me know :)

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488940

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:49

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:49
Hi Alan, I think you know where I'm heading. Ok you've got me Alfred who?
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764092

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:55

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:55
Hi Dunc,

Alfred Gibson, last seen heading towards the Rawlinsons on the mighty horse "Fair Maid of Perth", 23rd April 1874.

Have a great trip!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764093

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:59
In that case I think I might just of missed him and his horse, but only just mind.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764095

Reply By: Sludgie W.A - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:37

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:37
I hope you are taking the troopy out with you.

Sludgie
AnswerID: 488941

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:58

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:58
Maaaaaaaaaate what do you reckon. With all the money I'm forking out on it I'd better be and besides the auto sparky is stripping out all my electrical gadgets off the Terracan so they can be installed in the Troopy.

Water tank, pump and false floor this weekend all being well.

Just had a horrible thought this arvo whether or not the 33's will fit on the duel carrier, I'd better ask tomorrow hadn't I? Hate to have to get rid of the Mickey T's and get smaller ones, $ wise and clearance wise. (Not to mention Kerry putting my goolies through the mincer. LOL)

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764094

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:47
Hi Dunc

You are no stranger to that area, so you will have an advantage straight away.

We found the drive up from Cocklebiddy a good drive, even if it was slow and enjoyed it greatly. Yes, it is rocky, but no problem when dry, but you could see where travellers during the wet had great trouble.

The track north of Rawlinna will improve, and remember that the fuel tanker from Kal to Ilkurlka uses the track north and is usually graded a few times every year. The further north that you travel, the track will be like a very wide super highway, then revert back to a good, but narrower track north of Shed Tank.

The most important thing not to miss along that section of track is the Neale Breakaways, they are a must see. North of Neale Junction and you will be in country that you are no stranger to.

Have a great trip, as you will be travelling in great country.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 488955

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 21:16
Thanks for the comments Stephen. Yes I do enjoy the GVD and your advice about the Neale Breakaways is very tempting. Just wish I had more time on the back end of the trip to do everything I'd like. Oh well there is always next time as they say.

Cheers

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764114

Sponsored Links