Brake on camper trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:42
ThreadID: 9638 Views:1867 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have an All-Terrain camper trailer with drum brakes, the newer version of our camper trailer has disc brakes. Would like any feedback re disc v's drum brakes.

Also was wondering about fitting electric brakes to my drums, and whether this is also possible with disc brakes, any info or ref to site with info would be appreciated.

Thanks, SteveAll my friends have Nissans
I'm the rose amongst the thorns
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 12:01

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 12:01
Hi Steve,
Mate its the old arguement ... drums v discs discs on trailers are very good, drums tend to fade especially on long downhill runs.. eg the Clyde when engine braking wont hold you. I assume your drums are the override type and these can be converted to electric dums. Whether you spend the money really depends on what you want. If you are not having brake problems at the moment leave well enough alone. If you do decide to change the brakes on your trailer then you realise that especially in the ACT where bureaucrats reign supreme that you will be innundated with paperwork and have to get your modification certified etc etc...I had to get a recertification of my box trailer cause i repainted it.....
AnswerID: 42473

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 17:08

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 17:08
Steve, I'm assuming that your current drum brakes are the over ride hydraulic type. If you're after electric brakes then you will only be able to get electric drum brakes. To the best of my knowledge all disc brake sytems for trailers are hydraulic over ride systems.
If you decide to go for electric drum brakes which all new caravans use now it will enable you to engage the brakes on the trailer independantly of the car brakes by using the "brake controller" This can be very useful on downhill sections where the trailer wants to push the car down the hill, as you can engage the trailer brakes which then keeps the car/trailer combination straight rather than allowing the trailer to push the rear of the car which is lighter than usual as more of the vehicles weight is now on the front wheels.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 42493

Sponsored Links