Careful!! Check that pin

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:52
ThreadID: 96394 Views:4340 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday all, thought just share something with you.

Returned back to reality? last week after coming back from holidays.
Had a great trip going across to Charleville seeing our daughter and new born, onto Fraser Island, back via Longreach to see daughter 2 avoiding the rain as we went.
Continued upto Adeles Grove/Lawn Hill, Dooadgee (giddayJoe),across the Savannah Way, Lorella Springs making our way back to the NT.
Had a great time.
Every time I depart I always do a walk around the ute and camper to make sure everything is there.
Leaving Adeles we went the "back way" to Doomadgee.
After about 20km and several creek crossings I became aware of a banging type noise when I applied the brakes. I thought that by going through some of the creeks sand may have got into the brakes partially binding them. Continued on for a bit then thought better get and have a look. Checked the trailer, all looked good then checked the hitch and holy you now what! The receiver was sticking out from normal by about 10cm. The pin was missing and the banging that I heard was the trailer hitch moving inside the receiver. Luckily I had a spare pin in the tool box and no more problems.
But how did that pin come out? It could have been messy if the hitch came out.
I checked it before we left Adeles but I did not check that pin! But how did it come out? Did something hit the safety pin dislodging it then the main pin to fall out or........did someone need a spare pin for themselves. I hope like hell it was not the last one, if is is I would like to see there googangles hanging on a barb wire fence!
The moral of the story is do a proper walk around your vehicle and trailer and give it a proper check. If you hear an odd sound get out and have look.
Other than that the ute and trailer went well.............again.

Cheers
Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skippype - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 22:56

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 22:56
Greg
I had a similar thing happen a few years ago in the Cooper Basin. The pin was knocked out somehow and the hitch actually came out. Luckily I was not towing at the time but a mate following nearly had the hitch bounce up and hit him.
The pins do come out. After that I used a high tensile bolt and nut drilled with a pin for extra safety.
Skip
AnswerID: 489056

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 22:56

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 22:56
I read a story not that long ago about a chappy that dropped his van while comming out of a van park. It had something to do with a stolen pin.
AnswerID: 489057

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 06:56

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 06:56
This happened at Cotton Tree Maroochydore last year. Just as he pulled onto the road outside the park the van came off. Rather embarrassing as it is a busy road as well. The Coffee Club patrons were very amused.
FollowupID: 764211

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 23:01

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 23:01
On my hitch pin I have drilled a 5mm hole very near the end, at the beginning of the taper.
This is then threaded 6mm and counterbored slightly with an 8mm drill.
A high tensile socket head screw is then screwed into the hole. The head remains above the diameter of the pin.

This does two things.
If the R clip is removed it can't come out and if someone wants yours, which is most likely the case, they can't get it out of the hole because of the socket head screw. If they don't have a allen key ready for use you will still own the pin.

But yes, there is no substitute for frequent thorough checking procedures.
AnswerID: 489058

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 19:37

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 19:37
Ross,

I just use a locking hitch pin. Needs a key to lock and unlock and extremely hard for someone to remove it.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 764240

Follow Up By: Paul and Mel - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 20:02

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 20:02
just be sure the locking pin is rated, the ones used on the bars at work were not and bent like cheese sticks. some of them i had to cut out as they would not pull out as they were bent or badly worn through.
FollowupID: 764243

Reply By: Kimba10 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 23:02

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 23:02
Hi Greg, mate ill take a guess some low life oxygen wasting thief decided he wanted it more then you. I have done heaps and heaps of towing and never ever had one of these come loose or pop itself out, and Im talking towing campers,caravans,boats over different types of terrain. Even if you bottom out the hayman reese tongue the bar would hit before the pin. Now I suppose its not impossible for it to happen but I doubt it. Since having my hayman reese tongue stolen from my old vehicle I now have a lock which is a pin going right through and has a lock one end of it which needs a key, yes its legal and have snatched from it and not bent it. Cost me $150 for a new tongue and very bleep off to not be able to get my boat from the ramp at the time. Would have loved to have caught the person taking it, he would have been talking and walking funny let me tell you.....Cant stand thiefs, lowest form and makes me wonder why they think it belongs to them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 489059

Reply By: lancie49 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 23:31

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 23:31
I've drilled my hitch pin and put a padlock through it.
It won't stop theft, but it will make it noisy if they have to bash the lock off.

It can get a bit binding at times depending on road conditions, but I remove and replace the lock as part of the ritual every few days just to keep things operating smoothly.
AnswerID: 489061

Reply By: steved58 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 00:46

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 00:46
Well well well !!!!
I have had my reciever come out twice on the lc both times with a box trailer on the first time I thought stupid me must have left the r clip out But after that was very careful about checking it I have concluded that as the box trailer was not towing level and the clip can catch on the tow bar frame if I rotate the hitch pin it can push the R clip out Luckily both times I was pulling out of a driveway slowly when the reciever came out Now I only use a locking hitch pin no R clip and has not happened again be careful be very careful it is very scary
Steve
AnswerID: 489062

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 06:40

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 06:40
I have one of these as a kit. It is a coupling lock and has a hitch lock as well. All stainless steel. Not cheap but niether are insurance excesses. Bob
Talon Lock Kit
AnswerID: 489063

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 08:14

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 08:14
You were very lucky,Greg, I cured this issue with a lockable pin...about $25 I think.
It is almost compulsory around here as the hitch will walk if not secured. In my C/t
days I also had one on the treg..lock on when unhooked to discourage theft.
I never trusted those R pins anyway. cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 489067

Follow Up By: Member - Niss42 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:56

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:56
Some years ago I drove from Birdsville to Innaminka via the Cordillo Downs road, when I reached Innaminka I filled up with fuel.

When I came out of the trading Post after paying there was a guy standing between the patrol and the camper scratching his head, I said G'day, "whats up" he replied "dunno something's not right".

After a good look I noticed that the safety chains were as tight as a drum, the whole pin assembly was missing and the hitch was hanging in the receiver by 20mm.

As it was about 5pm I headed straight up to the big truck depot and purchased a suitable HT bolt and a couple of nuts to replace the lost pin.

The road from Birdsville was so rough I did not notice the hitch moving about. The pin had the hole drilled out the take a padlock, to stop the pin thieves, but I think the rough road had shaken the padlock to pieces.

I now have a proper locking pin fitted.

Cheers,
Barry

FollowupID: 764223

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 17:45

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 17:45
If you are using R type pine you are looking for trouble, use the tractor type toggle over pins.. They probably have a proper name but they are the go!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489095

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 21:09

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 21:09
"They probably have a proper name"

linch-pin

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764248

Reply By: happytravelers - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:18

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:18
I remember when I first purchased my landcruiser several years ago. It had been used extensively on dusty outback roads, when I went to remove the hitch, the build up of mud and gravel had welded it in place. It took considerable time belting it with a heavy lump hammer to remove it. I reckoned at the time if I'd removed the pin I could still have pulled a heavy trailer and it wouldn't have moved at all.

Jon
AnswerID: 489196

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 00:11

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 00:11
I made a replacement pin for a family at Algebuckina Bridge last year after he lost one on the Oodnadatta Tk. Put his solid bottle jack handle in and bent it before cutting it off. I had a cordless with me so drilled the other end for a spare lynch pin. It was still in there when we met them later on the Gibb River Rd. they'd also bought a spare at e first opportunity.

I use lynch pins on mine and I've never had a problem.

Another mate lost his near Tennant Creek last year causing quite a bit of damage.

I found a pin in the Simpson a fortnight ago.

Since that's all just my experience I'm guessing it's not that uncommon, and isn't always the work of those who are less than honest.

Murphy loves a player. Give him the ammunition and he'll give you a hard time.

Dave
AnswerID: 489421

Sponsored Links