breadmaker and rice cooker use

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 13:23
ThreadID: 96402 Views:3519 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have many people used breadmakers from their inverters? I have a 600 watt inverter and haven't bought a breadmaker but would like to. I wondered if I could have it running in the trailer or the back of the vehicle while driving on longer trips so bread would be fresh and ready on arrival- and not use so much of the power supply once stationary. We've got 4 kids and there will be one more joining us- driving Melb- central Qld via Strzlecki or Birdsville and return. I might even squeeze in a Simpson crossing and leave trailer in Marree. Fresh bread on route would be a luxury and fill those hungry bellies cost-effectively. Has anyone run a rice cooker off an inverter, too? Those things are so practical. At home the rice cooker runs 24/7. A quality rice cooker (pressure cooker variety) is such a perfect kitchen appliance if one's staple is rice!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Polaris - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 13:50

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 13:50
Don't waste your time trying to make bread while mobile.

Bread, cakes, damper, etc all rise because of small air bubbles that form during the baking process.

Vibrations in a moving vehicle will disturb all the bubbles and you will end up with a dud loaf.

Just check your appliances for the power use rating in watts and see if your inverter will have enough capacity to run it.

We have successfully used a 600W inverter to run a Queen size Sunbeam electric blanket - all night. Each side is rated at 80W on max but down to 20W on the lower settings that are usually used for sleep comfort.
AnswerID: 489082

Follow Up By: Polaris - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 14:09

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 14:09
,,, follow up to my previous post ...
Our Panasonic SD-257 breadmaker is rated at 550W - so it would be marginal as to wether a 600W inverter would run it or not.
It would definitely need to be a full sine wave model as the modified sine wave inverters would interfere with the electronic timer on the breadmaker.
We had ths problem with the Sunbeam electric blanket - ours has 2 electronic controls and we had to buy a full sine wave model. Did try the modified sine wave model first - but it wouldn't run. A modified wave inverter would run a blanket that had a mechanical control and timer.
Our rice cooker also has an electronic control - so also needs a full sine wave inverter. Would also need to be a decent sized one as the cooker is rated 900W !!
FollowupID: 764228

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 14:16

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 14:16
We tried the bread maker on a 600 pure sine wave and blew it up and the bread maker was rated at 450 w. we could have done some thing wrong and knowing us we probably did.
BroodieH3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489083

Follow Up By: rainbowprof - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:36

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:36
that's unfortunate. But my inverters have cut off switches that, I think, should protect against that sort of problem. I'll be aware though.
FollowupID: 764230

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:33

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:33
We run a small Breville breadmaker from a PSW inverter and have done so since 2005.
The breadmaker draws 450W maximum and uses about 30Ahr (at 12V) to bake a loaf.
We bake while driving on a regular basis and also when camped. No problems.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 489087

Follow Up By: rainbowprof - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:43

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:43
Peter, now that's more what I want to hear. Can you tell me the model number of your Breville so I can look into it more thoroughly please. What size loaf can you make and how long does it take on the average? Do you use a premix packet of ingredients and is it fully automatic, or do you knead the dough first? I am impressed! This is such great news. I raved on about this idea with my wife this morning and she seemed really interested. Do you think the fact that it is a PSW inverter makes much difference? It seems like a great idea to use the power while the vehicle is running.
FollowupID: 764232

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:40

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:40
We are currently in Fiji so I can't tell you the model number. We chose it because it was small and rectangular and east to pack.
It bakes a small loaf.
We use premix and it is totally automatic. Takes about 3 hours to bake a loaf.
Sometimes we set the timer so that it is ready for breakfast. Great to wake up to. :-)

A good quality PSW inverter sould cause no problems but a MSW could upset the electronics. A 600W (continuous) unit should be OK.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 764259

Reply By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:49

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 15:49
Hi Rainbowprof, can't help with the Rice cooker, but we use our breadmaker while driving, we have a 600 Watt Projecta inverter behind one of the panels in the back of our Troopy, and a Breville breadmaker (550 W from memory) it will trip out if the motor isn't running when the Heating element starts other than that it works fine, and the bread is as good as it cooks at home, makes the car smell real good too. It takes about 3 hours to make, so we set it up to run if we have a 3hr run ahead of us and are low on bread. We still use a camp oven if we are set up somewhere for a while but find the set up in the car very convenient while travelling. You don't want to be too fusy about keeping the breadmaker all shiney and flash ( ours looks like it has been dragged behind the car, still works a treat despite the dents and scratches.) Try it out for yourself. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489089

Follow Up By: rainbowprof - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 16:36

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 16:36
Hah, ha. Yeah,Kanga- the sweet fragrance of fresh bread can only be a step up for our car with lots of occupants sweating, breathing and generating human odours. This should be fun. I foresee turning up in a small town, buying a 4 litre tub of cheap vanilla or neapolitan icecream and eating it with fresh bread and jam. Talk about holiday fare- they'll think all their Christmas's have comeat once. Sometimes on a warm day I just buy a tub of icecream for the kids and give them a spoon each. Now it will be served with freshly baked sweet bread. Is your Projecta inverter PSW or the cheaper one? Does your breadmaker knead it first or do you put in prepared dough?
FollowupID: 764233

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 19:08

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 19:08
Hi, I don't think the inverter is PSW it was under $200 it runs my grinder, drill, hair clippers etc no probs. We use bread mixes, add water, then dry ingredients, switch machine on, hey presto, 3hrs later fresh bread. Its Witchcraft........Good luck with your travelling Bakery. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 764238

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 19:31

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 19:31
Well I believe you are taking all the uniqueness out of your camping escapades.

Just imagine, you are at camp and it's time to start the bread making process.
Have the kiddies join in the process of mixing the dough in a bowl.
Kneading of the dough is an adults job but the kids can place the bread mix and yeast in the bowl, then gradually add water as you knead the dough.

Then they can view the prepared dough as it gradually rises over a couple of hours or so, putting the dough in a bread tin, then placing the tin in a warm breeze free place.

When the dough has risen, place the bread tin in an oven of your choice, either a gas fired oven in a van, or a covered barbeque, or best of all, a camp oven.

Half an hour later you should have the best bread you can imagine, in a shape that is practical and the aroma, oh boy!

I have a breadmaker at home, but only use it to mix the dough, then it goes into a bread tin and placed in the oven, BBQ, or camp oven, even at home.
Bread made in a breadmaker is short, high and has a bloody great hole in the bottom where the mixing blade is.

Shake yourself away from electrical appliances as much as possible when camping and enjoy the simple things in life.

As for the rice cooker, what is wrong with a saucepan?
Boil the rice in the water for 12 mins and drain the water off the rice.
It worked for my Grandmother, it worked for my mother and it works for us too.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489105

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 23:00

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 23:00
Hi Rainbowprof

While i said i would never take electric cooking appliances (bulky and heavy), for our last trip i purchased a small breadmaker from eBay - and it stayed under the bed the whole time :O. Much easier to mix by hand than get it out. At home i use a breadmaker almost every day to mix the dough for fresh bread rolls, but when the power was off last week, it didn't take much time to make by hand.

I don't use a rice cooker at home, boiling up a pot of rice every week. In the caravan, it is just as easy to boil for 14 or 15 minutes on the stove.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489117

Reply By: rainbowprof - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 00:21

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 00:21
I certainly appreciate the responses- of course each of us have our own individual priorities and preferences. I went for a s/h 350 watt bread maker from ebay that cost $44 delivered. I'm hoping my inverter will deal with it efficiently! We'll try it and see how we feel. The kids expressed great interest in getting it happening on a daily basis. I might buy 10 kg of flour and some yeast to get us started. Seven people consume a fair amount of carbohydrates. My wife smiled at the thought of us all battling the flies and kneading dough in roadside camps on the trip. Our major priority is crowd control, and hungry people are harder to keep in line. Sometimes practicalities and shortcuts win out :-) Hey , I'm a teacher who's overworked and underpaid as it is. Luckily I'm paid for 4 months off a year. If we're fortunate we'll make bread, enjoy it and spend less on it as a whole over a period of time. Fingers crossed.
Thanks again for all the well-intentioned and carefully considered replies.
AnswerID: 489204

Sponsored Links