Pet Friendly Motel or Hotel in/near Cairns

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 20:15
ThreadID: 96414 Views:1939 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I know there are some dog friendly parks around the region but thought we might leave the tent in the car for a couple of nights, for something different.

Anyone know of a motel/hotel in Cairns that will allow a tiny weeny quiet, well behaved best friend?

Thanks,
Sarah
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lancie49 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 21:46

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 21:46
Sarah, I don't think health regs would allow a pet of any sort in a hotel/motel, and neither they should.
Ppl live and sleep in those rooms and have every right to believe they are clean and safe.

What's to say your tiny weeny quiet, well behaved best friend will not have an accident on the bed I'm sleeping in tomorrow night.

No way known would I patronise an 'pet friendly hotel/motel.
AnswerID: 489114

Follow Up By: Eager2CAuswithdog - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 21:59

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 21:59
Hmm Lancie, pet friendly motels are hardly unheard of. Cairns is the first place I've had an issue finding one.

The dog wouldn't be on the bed, and I guarantee you she is more hygenic than most kids.

I was actually after useful suggestions, if you don't have one, suggest you don't respond.
FollowupID: 764252

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:20

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:20
OK Sarah, fair enough, hope you and your treasured pets enjoy your travels.

Do these pet friendly hotel/motels advertise the fact or just say "Yeah, Ok" ?
FollowupID: 764253

Follow Up By: Eager2CAuswithdog - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:23

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:23
Yep they advertise. On the big sites like Last Minute etc you have "Pets Allowed" as a common search criteria.
FollowupID: 764254

Follow Up By: the_fitzroys - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:53

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:53
Lancie,
I have a friend near Coffs who has an accommodation business (b&b) specifically for dog-lovers. There are plenty of such places out there.
Louise
FollowupID: 764312

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:13

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:13
Congratulations on your determination to take your dog with you. It is common in Europe and (I hear) in US for hotels etc to accept pets. As you said, many kids are more of a hazard or annoyance to other guests! Our health regulators and insurers just take the easy way out with a blanket ban or motel owners who don 't mind losing business use them as an excuse! I don't see that a well behaved pet dog is any more of a health hazard than a guide dog.
If you have no luck with motels you could try caravan parks. We are noticing now that quite a few are offering dog friendly cabins. One of these might suit.
Good luck! Lynne
AnswerID: 489164

Reply By: lancie49 - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 18:02

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 18:02
OK, fair enough. I hadn't realised that these places existed.
Still can't say I'd be happy to stop in one though.

Enjoy ya travels ;-)
AnswerID: 489178

Follow Up By: Eager2CAuswithdog - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:03

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:03
Hi Lancie,

So many human adults have mental/ sexual perversions, laziness, vindictiveness, anger which could easily lead them to do things in hotel rooms that if you frequent them, you really dont want to think about. Tests have been carried out on all levels of hotel rooms and often the more stars the worse for finding all kinds of human secretions in the the most scary of places.

My dog doesnt have that psychology. She is a lap dog. When she enters a new room i put her mat down. She sits/lies on it and wags her tail. Thats pretty much it.

At home i have occasionally left her for 24 hours and she has never peed, or number two-ed, ever. She only barks when someone comes to the door and is otherwise an angel.

She isnt what u need to worry about when staying in a hotel. From the research i have read it would be advisable for you to take disinfectent wipes and wipe down all light switches, remote controls and use your own towels and sheets. And never walk bare foot!!

Its a jungle out there - and the scariest animals, by far, are human!

:)
FollowupID: 764360

Sponsored Links