The Last Frontier?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 21:19
ThreadID: 96416 Views:4149 Replies:8 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Is the Kimberley's Carson River Track one of the last frontiers for extreme off roading.?
We're soon to find out as our departure date for this trek fast approaches.
The cruiser is serviced, the camper packed, permits organised, maps and g.p.s. co-ords installed and our fellow travellers organised, and anticipation builds.

As past travellers of the Canning Stock route ,Simpson Desert, Transcontinental Railway line and other remote area tracks, we look forward to tackling, what we are told by some who have done this trek, one of the most difficult and remote tracks in Oz.
We depart early July, travel to Normanton, meet travel companions there, then on to Katherine via Roper Bar, then Kununurra, Bungle Bungles, Wyndham, Carson River track to Kalumburu, Mitchell Plateau/Crystal Head, Gibb River Road to Derby. Then on to Broome via Cape Leveque, then 80 mile beach, Kidson Track to Well 33 on Canning Stock Route, Gary Highway and Gunbarrel Highway to Warburton, The Olgas and Ayres Rock via Docker River.
Then its on to Mt Dare across The Simpson via The French line to Birdsville then home via Charlieville and Roma.
About 12,000 klm in two and a half months. Love it. Keep you posted on our progress, complete with successes and failures.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:16

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:16
Nice little loop Trev. Should test your equipment out on what are some pretty harsh tracks. Have been looking at Carson River track ourselves for a future run & wondering did you have inside contacts to get permits or are they available through regular channels?
Might cross paths as you come over the Simpson as we're doing a double crossing Aug/Sept.
Enjoy your adventure & look forward to your updates & hopefully a few photo's.
Cheers Craig.....................
AnswerID: 489115

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:35

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:35
G/day Craig,
Mate, we are really looking forward to this trek, and as you say, there are some areas of very tough going, which is our reason for having a go. All the permits are available through the normal channels, ( Central Lands Council N.T) and for the Carson River track contact The Aboriginal Lands Trust in Perth. The permits for the Carson River Track are difficult to get as the traditional owners don't look favorably on people travelling this area. You will be required to provide evidence of previous experience in remote area travel as well as a letter to indemnify The Aboriginal Lands Trust, Traditional Owners and Station owners from any action related to loss, damage or personal injury in regard to your travel on traditional land.
Look forward to maybe catching up on the track somewhere, and we will post some updates for all, as and when we have mobile coverage for the laptop. Watch out for the silver grey Landcruiser. (It' probably be bogged.)
Trev.
FollowupID: 764330

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:50

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 22:50
Hi Trev

Have you seen Peter and Margaret's slide show?

Carson Track

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489116

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:50

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:50
Hi. I'm a little confused. The fantastic slideshow shows a trip from Home Valley to Oombulguri which is 150km SE of Kalumburu.A nearby property is called Carson River. on my Hema map road atlas. Reading the initial post, he's going from Wyndham to Kalumburu. But would this not be along the GRR, up past Drysdale and go right where it's left to Mitchell Falls. Or is there a connecting track onwards from Oombulguri NW to Carson River?................W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764311

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:04

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:04
Hi Motherhen,
Sorry we haven't seen Peter and Marg's slideshow just yet, but we have seen some others, so we've got a fair idea what wer'e in for.
Warrie is a bit confused, but to clarify the issue,The Carson River Track, for us, starts at Home Vally Station, proceeds to Oombulgurri, and then continues north and northwest through remote aboriginal land to Drysdale River and finally Kalumburu. To do this we miss the section of GRR between Home Valley and the Kalumburu turnoff. To see the section from Oombulgurri to Drysdale River X/ing check out Google Earth for that area or have a look at Hema Maps " Kimberley" sheet.
Regards, Trev.
FollowupID: 764334

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:19

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:19
Hi Trev

I sort of recall that Peter's group couldn't get through from Oombulgurri to Kalumburu. I certainly looks like a hard trek - good luck with it.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764336

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:54

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:54
Thanks for that info. It sure looks like a tough route with the slide show showing those giant boulders and high water levels at the rivers. Maybe the later in the dry you go the better. If it's anything like the track to Walsh Point beyond Mitchell Falls then challenging will be an understatement....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764375

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:11

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:11
Hi Warrie, as said i seem to think that Peter and his party were not able to get through any further hence took barge out. I'm thought Oombulgurri settlement was abandoned due to issues there but do not know for sure what the outcome was. If so, the barge would not be available as a last resort.

I think Trev knows what he is in for in calling his post "The Last Frontier?"

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764376

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 00:59

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 00:59
Friends of ours did the Carson Track, we have the video of their trip, it looks like a fantastic trip for you but a hard one. LOL Enjoy, we'll be looking forward to the updates.
Cheers
D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489120

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:19

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:19
G/day Dunworkin,
How along ago did your mates do the C.R.T. Would be most interested to hear from them if their trip was in the last couple of years. (Knowledge is power, you know, and any recent info we can get would be appreciated).
Hey, Simba is a great looking mate. Can relate to how much you miss her.
Will post updates as and when we can.
Regards, Trev.
FollowupID: 764335

Reply By: Greg & Dianne - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 06:07

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 06:07
Sounds absolutely great We, too would be interested in hearing of your travels and triumphs. We may cross paths around the roper Bar area as we are travelling the Gulf track, Adels Grove to Mataranka throughout July. Safe travels Cheers Greg & Di
AnswerID: 489122

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:31

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:31
Hi Greg and Dianne,
Thanks for your reply. We will, as best we can post updates on our progress. Will keep an eye out for you in the Gulf Country in July. We will be on U.H.F Ch 25, or if you see a bogged silver Landcruiser trayback, thats us.
Cheers and happy travels,
Trev.
FollowupID: 764339

Reply By: shanegu6 - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 14:12

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 14:12
How long do yous expect it to take and who do you get the permits through? One track I've dreamt of completing.
AnswerID: 489150

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:58

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:58
Hi Shane.
Estimated time is 12 to 14 days for the Carson River Track depending on conditions and your level of experience. A very well set up 4wd with high clearance, winch and diff locks would be recommended. Remote area communication is a must (ie Satphone or H.F radio).
Watch for our follow ups as we proceed after July 8.
FollowupID: 764345

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:10

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:10
King Trev,

Bruce and Annie arrived here at our place a couple of hours ago, ready for our departure tomorrow morning for the Central Western QLD Trip.

Shame more didn't want to join us although Mike has had a few issues which has prevented him for comming along with us. Old Girl is tagging along with us to Windorah.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489194

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 22:22

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 22:22
Ah Kev, old mate and chauffeur. How we wish we could be with you for another outback experience, a la Sir Kev, but allas the time for our Kimberley trip is only a week or two away and there is much to do before we leave.
I'm sure you will have a great time, after all there is the Isuzumu factor. Say hi to Bruce and Annie for us. Will do Forum updates on our travels when we can, and keep in touch when we get home.
Regards. King Trev.
FollowupID: 764350

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:16

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:16
King Trev,

Did that recipe for those YUMMY dampers make there way through to Annie? We are going to have another crack at mastering those whilst away LOL

Hope you both have a safe and relaxing trip.

We depart in under an hour :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764361

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 17:50

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 17:50
Hii Kev, sorry I didn't get back to you before you departed but hopefully you may get this as you travel to enjoyment. ( Thats anywhere except to work ).
Master damper cook, Marg's recepie is as follows.
4 cups self raising flour
Pinch of salt.
Water as required
Add water and mix with a fork to a sticky dough consistency ( Important. Do not over mix or kneed )
Place mixture into a deep oiled and floured pan.
Cook in camp oven until a knife test into centre of damper comes out clean. ( No sticky residue on knife.) DONE, Enjoy. If this does'nt work we will have to come along next time and show how it's done in person. ( or try your success. )
Have lots of fun,
Cheers, Trev.
FollowupID: 764402

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 20:34
Hi Trev,

I spoke to Kalumburu today (Wednesday) and The Carson River Track is a closed track.
Oombulgurri is abandoned.
I spoke to a feller that flew over it two weeks ago and he said the entry and exits from the big rivers have been torn out. He said it is doable but you'll need plenty of time.
Anne Koeyers from Drysdale River Station said it's been two seasons since a grader has been anywhere near any part of the track and it hasn't been touched for 7 years, since the Mining Exploration finished.

The feller at Kalumburu was saying they are assessing the track to figure out what they're going to do there. Their plan is to open it again but it won't be this season. They're going to basically only going to open it for tag a long tours with their people leading the tours, well that's their plan for now.

Let us know how you go, if you get a chance.

We'll be in Kalumburu about 22nd August.

Have good trip,
Steve
AnswerID: 489559

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 20:16

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 20:16
Thanks for the info Steve. All of what you say is correct, and we expect to do a fair bit of construction work along the way. We know Oombulgurri is abandoned, that many areas of the track are missing and that no maintenance has happened for years, that's why I've called it "The Last Frontier'. We have our access permits for the area, and with all the planning done, we know there is no guarantee that we will be able do the whole track. We are not a "Gung Ho" lot, and will turn back if severe vehicle damage is expected from a river xing or the like, or we encounter an area that is impossible to negotiate.
We plan to post some updates when we can, so hopefully there will be one to say 'Hooray' we made it. Plans are to start at Home Valley on the 20th July, and take 10 to 14 days to Kalumburu.We'll see how she goes.
Cheers,
Trev.
FollowupID: 764774

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 21:07

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 21:07
Good on you Trev.
You're right, it's hard to find anywhere that's truly remote now.

Where did you get your permits from? I've been struggling to get any positive news on permits for the track. Kalumburu said no.

I'd be really grateful if you could let us know how you went, either way.
As I said before, we'll be about a month behind you and we're keen to give it a go if we get half a chance.

Travel safe,
Steve

FollowupID: 764776

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 21:36

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 21:36
I didn't mention before, we'll be heading over that way through the Gary Junction Rd and Kidson Track.

When do you plan on heading that way?
We'll be heading west from Alice about 5 August.

Steve
FollowupID: 764779

Follow Up By: Member - Trev K - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:30

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:30
Steve, our permits were issued by The Department of Indigenous Affairs in Perth. Go to www.dia.wa.gov.au Permits are difficult to get for the Carson River and we had to give them a disclaimer letter stating we would'nt hold any body responsible for damage or personal injury resulting fron travelling in the area. Took a couple of months of to and fro to get them.
If we remain on schedule we will be on the Kidson track about Aug 18 to 23, then Gary H/way, Gunbarrel H/way and Great Central Rd from Aug 23 to 29. That's if all plans work out, and as you probably know plans often don't go to plan out in the bush.
Hope to spot you on the track somewhere.
Trev.
FollowupID: 764799

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 17:40

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 17:40
Thanks again for your info Trev.

We'll keep our eyes open for the silver trayback.
We'll be in three 80 series Landcruisers, 2 with rooftop tents.

We head off in a month today. Starting to get edgy and wanting to go at the moment.

Have good trip and keep us updated if you can.

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 764812

Reply By: LRD110 - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:07

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:07
Hi Trev K,

Well I'm assuming you are knee deep in rocks by now on the CRT. I have driven the entire track from home Valley station to Kalumburu via oombulgurri many times in both directions. I last did it in 2011.

You will often hear that the track is impassable, chopped out by the wet etc, truth is that occurs but its nothing some blood sweat and tears cant fix with some road building but be prepared for some slow days.

I'm confident you guys are prepared but people should know that this is not for the faint hearted, you need to be able to fix your broken vehicle otherwise you may as well leave it there if it breaks down or gets broken. This is the remotes's track in australia and without a word of a lie probably the toughest. Its tough on the vehicle.....

Word on the street is that DIA will be closing the track to the public full stop as they are doing some deal with a tourist venture who will have exclusive access so go for it while you can. I plan on doing it again later in the year (yes it will be hot) so hopefully you guys have done some of the hard work :)

Good luck id be keen to hear your stories.
AnswerID: 491899

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:19

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:19
G'day LRD110,

I spoke to Kalumburu about a month ago and I was told they're plan is to do tag alongs through there with a couple of their people leading the way. They're talking about starting next year.

I couldn't see myself doing a tag along.

I was hoping to get through there next month but time's going to stuff up my plans.

It'd be interesting to see what Trev's up to right now.

Steve

FollowupID: 767556

Sponsored Links