Oziexplorer GPS mapping software, HEMA maps and GPS receiver

I bought the above package and have downloaded the first 2 discs but I am having trouble installing the GPS receiver USB driver. The first screen that greets me asks me to modify, restore or delete the program. I simply want to install it! I have printed off the manual but cannot get past step 2 : installing the USB driver. I am using windows 7. Anyone with a suggestion?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 09:49

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 09:49
Hi

"The first screen that greets me asks me to modify, restore or delete the program"

This suggests that the required file/files are already installed. Click on restore if you want to make sure all is well otherwise ...theoretically the drivers should be ready to go.. Have you actually tried using OziExplorer with the GPS receiver?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489133

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 15:43

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 15:43
I had the same thing happen last week with my new laptop
I had reloaded everything from old laptop(XP) onto new one but Ozi wouldnt work when I connected gps mouse. I expected to have to allocate to correct comms port
the new laptop (WIN 7)asked for driver for gps mouse.found the disc that came with my mouse when I purchased it last year and it didnt support Win7 so had to download later version from net.
got the same message about modify ,restore/delete and hit modify .
then I had to set up comms port etc within Ozi.
in the end alls good
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764288

Reply By: Member - Richard & Valda D - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 15:42

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 15:42
Many thanks Greg,
I assumed that it failed to install when I could not find the relevant icon on the desktop.
I did try OziExplorer and a local map to give it a test. Not sure what I expected to be honest, but I thought there would be some indication on the map of my position such as an arrow or mark, plus a global position somewhere?
Perhaps I have not installed OziExplorer properly.
It is probably obvious that I am barely computer literate. I will continue to try, using the users guide, assuming the windows USB driver is installed as you suggest.
I might even read the OziExplorer software tutorial if all else fails.

PS I have bought the package to help me navigate my way up the Hay River Track, Simpson Desert.

Regards,
Richard
AnswerID: 489158

Follow Up By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 15:53

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 15:53
You will have to set the GPS com port in oziexplorer as well. Barnray
FollowupID: 764290

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 16:22

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 16:22
Hello...no super expert but

You can search and set the gps port automatically using FILE-> CONFIGURATION->GPS (TAB)-> click on FIND GPS PORT

Image Could Not Be Found

Then if that works, close configuration and select MOVING MAP -> START NMEA COMMUNICATION WITH GPS

Image Could Not Be Found

In theory all should work.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764295

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:31

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:31
You can also click on "Show NMEA Input & Output" in the Moving Map menu dropdown. You will get a small window popup that should show a stream of characters which is the info stream from the GPS receiver. If you dont see anything in the window then you have a problem with your GPS setup.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 764409

Follow Up By: Member - Richard & Valda D - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 08:16

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 08:16
Thanks again Greg and many thanks to all other contributors. It is comforting to know others have similar problems and that someone out there cares.
Your suggestions were spot on Greg. The GPS device was installed all along. I opened OziExplorer, hit Moving Map tab, then Start NMEA Communication with GPS. About 4 minutes later I had a large red arrow pointing to my location.
To be truthful it was my computer literate daughter-in-law, with no mapping or GPS experience, who made it work for me by reading the OziExplorer tutorial. If all else fails, read the instructions eh?

Regards,
Richard
FollowupID: 764511

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:26

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:26
Good stuff
Have fun

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764515

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:31

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:31
quite often , with my copy of ozi and bluetooth mouse (lucky you didn't have to configure one of thses :o ) , ozi won't display your position unless you are actually moving
AnswerID: 489171

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:37

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 21:37
Hi

That’s a bit weird..so when you stop the cursor disappears? Or is it just the initail start up? Are you sure it’s just not showing your position because you don’t have a sat fix …and by coincidence it gets a sat fix when you are moving? If this is actually taking place then its possibly related to your gps (some sort of Bluetooth battery saving system) and not OziExplorer so it won’t be a universal phenomenon.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764341

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 02:34

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 02:34
mines the same when using my phone as a GPS mouse , turn it on and you dont thi k its working as it can take a couple of minutes for the arrow to appear, seems to be a bit of a lag as well like if you turn it can take a good few seconds before the arrow indicates you have.

not a problem in the sheme of things

biggest issue I have is the phone using the GPS over BT app will stop sending to the computer and i have to turn the app off an on

I checked to see if it was on the auto end list but it wasnt
FollowupID: 764358

Sponsored Links