Quilpie/Windorah/Jundah/Stonehenge/Longreach query

Submitted: Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 14:31
ThreadID: 96427 Views:3382 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday...

Still tossing up on my travel plans for the next month or so.

From what I can find out, the road from Quilpie to Windorah is sealed - narrow but sealed. Can someone confirm that please

I have not been able to get confirmation of the road from Windorah/Jundah/Stonehenge/Longreach - is it sealed all the way?

Cheers - John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 14:41

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 14:41
Hi John

I can only confirm the first part of your question, yes the road is a sealed road between Windorah and Quilpie, narrow but good. When you see a Road Train coming, stop and get off the road and give them right of way.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489154

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 14:44

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 14:44
John,

Both are sealed roads all the way just check this Site for road works
AnswerID: 489155

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:04

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:04
Hi John,

We travelled this road only yesterday and this morning towing our caravan. Yes it is sealed all the way apart from a short detour through Stonehenge due to road works. There is some dusty dirt road in this bit...only a few kms.

The road is variable with some rough patches where the cement surface across creeks and culverts has cracked and been patched and for most of it, is narrow bitumen so you have to get at least one wheel off the bitumen when passing oncoming traffic. Also be aware that long road trains use this route.
If it rains, the road is closed as we discovered on a trip out this way a few years ago. The edges get very soft.

North of the iIsisford turn (120 kms south of Longreach) there were a few large, deep potholed bits....so care needs to be taken.

We stayed at a roadside rest area overnight about 120 kms south of Longreach and just after dark four monster ....4 trailers long....cattle bearing road trains pulled in so the drivers could have a meal and break. That was interesting!

Hope this is the information you were after.
Regard,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489163

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:49

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:49
Good information Heather. I have been reading some of your recent blogs this afternoon and now this. You are a real mine of information. Thanks.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 764310

Reply By: Member - JohnBee (VIC) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 19:36

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 19:36
Gday...

Thankz to all replies. I have travelled with my rig over these type of roads in the past couple of years.

I usually call up any approaching (or catching) roadtrains - or any sort of truck - on the CB and tell them I have seen them and that I am gonna pull completely off the road and stop, leaving them with ALL the bitumen.

Safer for me and for them - they are usually really appreciative.

Cheers - John
AnswerID: 489188

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:55

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:55
We were leaving Cunnamulla this morning to do this same route...
Had read this post with great interest (good info from EO members - as always)
But the COLD here has really eaten into our old bones, and we made a sudden decision as we left the Jack Tonkin CP to just stay on the Matilda and go North t the warmer climes...
Well... the thought was there..!! We only got 2 hours up the road to Charlieville and we are currently at Cobb & Co ($26 a night powered is no bad..!!)
Chilly outside - but warm as toast in the van...
Maybe the Quilpie and Stonehenge adventure next time...
Jedo
AnswerID: 489249

Sponsored Links