Bloomfield track

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 07:51
ThreadID: 96440 Views:2466 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, heading off to the Cape next Friday and was planning to go up
bloomfield. I've just read an article that said that camper trailers are not permitted. I'm towing an Ultimate and if this is the case we'll have to change our route. Can anyone advise if this is true please.

Regards,

Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:55

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:55
You could start here

I had a quick look at the RTA road closures but did not see anything on the Bloomfield mentioned. Please look yours elf to be sure. Apart from that contact the local Cooktown council and ask them. There is a quite steep section that when wet you may find it interesting even though it is paved with rough concrete.

Hope this helps. At least it is a start.
AnswerID: 489217

Reply By: Tony N2 - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:04

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:04
Hi Glenn, went up the track in October last year I left my van in Cairns but saw other vehicles towng even a couple of off road vans, its a great drive you will enjoy it,

Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 489219

Reply By: zigdog - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:30

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:30
Glenn,

I live in Cairns and towed my Kamper up it two weeks ago. Plan to do the same again in another 3. I have never heard trailers not being allowed. It is a fine road and easy going.

What article did you read?
AnswerID: 489220

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:26

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:26
Here is a link from a couple of Locals

Track Update

http://www.destinationdaintree.com/bloomfieldtrack.html

A lot take their campers on the Track -Its just not recommended - But the track is a highway these days, there would be no issue about it being easy enough to do.

I have towed my Boat through there :-)

Cheers tony
AnswerID: 489222

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 14:25

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 14:25
If you are like us and watch out for anything that would void your insurance cover then I would check further.

Just because others do tow trailers/vand and stuff on the track does not mean the insurance will be okay.
AnswerID: 489227

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 14:54

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 14:54
Hi Glenn

I have never heard of that. As said, people go through with off road caravans including some large ones, although we would not as there are sections that could frustrate oncoming traffic. I can see no issues whatsoever with your trailer. It is a wonderful part of Australia - enjoy the drive.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489230

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 15:07

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 15:07
I think your question has been answered. note : there are roadworks underway on the track north of the Bloomfield river, traveling on a Sunday will be quicker.
AnswerID: 489231

Follow Up By: Danield - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:17

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:17
Hi,
If you are going up the coast road through Bloomfield township, there should be no problem. I think the article you read might have been referring to the Electricity lines track which at times is closed and is probably not suited to trailer towing.
Cheers,
Dan
FollowupID: 764407

Reply By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:48

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:48
We just did the track up and back 3 days ago with a vehicle only [gone soft these days and now have an off road van which we left at Wonga Beach]. We met lots of camper trailers. Just take it easy on the narrow bits and you will be fine. Allow plenty of time & don't speed. We nearly ended having a head-on, 6 vehicles in convoy, all towing trailers and travelling about 30 metres apart with lots of dust & driving much too fast, cutting corners - your worst nightmare and they were only at the beginning of their Cape journey I suspect.

We took an Ultimate down the track about 8 years ago & that was fine too. Definitely no caravans!! There were a few water crossings, but they were all fine. Take a few extra minutes to explore Bloomfield Falls as they are really spectacular at the moment.

We did notice this morning at Cooktown on a notice board that Cape Melville Rd via Starke, could be closed so just check if you happen to be planning that route to the east. The other roads up through the centre were all fine. Anyone at Cooktown returning from the Cape this week said that the Develpment Rd was really good, however, Qld school hols started yesterday so that means lots of traffic now.

cheers, enjoy the cape and explore all the tracks if you have time.
AnswerID: 489248

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 22:16

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 22:16
Hi Chambo,

Having come to grief on that track some years ago I would definitely not take a trailer on it if there has been any sign of rain. We asked around all the recommended sources in Cooktown before setting out and they all said 'they haven't had much rain up there, you'll be fine.' We were a bit green back then and even though we passed through some very light, fine rain we thought we'd be okay. We weren't. With the guidance of some very kind people we managed to turn around and go back. The funny thing was after getting into a safe place we were the ones lending people in vehicles (not towing) D shackles and straps to get through the steep, sticky bend that had brought us undone.

Any hint of rain - don't tow.

A lesson well learnt.

Min
AnswerID: 489253

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 16:58

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 16:58
Note - Itis not now "Some years ago".

The track is nothing like it used to be and is no real issue anymore, has had ample concrete, bitumen and gravel put over it to make it nearly a drive in a 2wd. Ther are only acouple of slightly harder sections now.

The loclas drive it over the wet as well as soon as the creeks are passable

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 764468

Reply By: Chambo - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 18:21

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 18:21
Thanks everyone for your replies. We can't wait to head off on friday and Bloomfield here we come. Meeting our travelling partners in Cooktown Saturday week when we'll start heading up via the OTL.

Cheers,

Chambo
AnswerID: 489323

Sponsored Links