transfer case breather hose

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 16:12
ThreadID: 9645 Views:5258 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hello exploreres

does the 60 series landcruiser diesel 86 model have a breather hose.

the rear output seal has been replace 2 times and the last time a new companion
flange was fitted after a long run it has signs of weeping all i can think of is as the oil heats up it becomes pressurised inside the case and that is causing the weep.

it has the connector from the gear to the tranfer case hose on it but i cant see a breather hose.
not much room to squeeze up into to see for sure.

gra
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 80 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 17:40

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 17:40
They dont have a breather hose but they do have a breather on top of the box. This may be blocked with dirt but havent seen that happen before,and I think from memory there is one on top of the transfer case as well. The connector hose you mention from the gearbox to transfer case is a roundabout way of fixing a problem in the gearbox without fixing the problem. That is the lip seal between the transfer and gearbox on the main shaft over time goes rock hard from heat,shrinks off the seal face and no longer keeps the two oils appart. The hose allows the oil to drain back to the transfer box, this may not be connected to your problem but you might check to see if the oil leak is comeing along the splines and out from behind the flange nut,I have seen this happen before.
AnswerID: 42494

Reply By: trikidiki - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 18:06

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 18:06
I had the same problem with my FJ40, fitted the new double lip seal from Toyota, took me about 8 hrs and after about 3 months the problem returned. Then I picked up 2 Corolla gearbox plugs from a wrecking yard, drilled a 3/8 hole thru the centre of each, fitted 2 right angle steel fuel pipe bends and braised them into position, fitted them to the gearbox and transfer case and joined them with a piece of clear plastic pipe.

I figured that as the gearbox filled the oil would run down the pipe and into the transfer case. It didn't quite work as I thought, what happened was by joining the gearbox and transfer case via the plastic tube it equalised the pressure between the two. Problem solved. Hope this helps.

Dick.
AnswerID: 42496

Follow Up By: Davoe - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 20:35

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 20:35
Had a simular problem with my 2h motor. the gearbox was putting oil into the transfer case thru the balance pipe causing the transfer case to be over full and then I assume pressurise and leak - solution drain transfer case every sevice and top up gearbox problem fixed no more leaks
FollowupID: 304923

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 05:12

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 05:12
Hi
There is 1 breather on the transfer right ontop. The rear output shaft bearings are shimmed inside the spedo drive casing, you may need to reshim them if you can feel any up and down play at all in the driveshaft with the gbox in neutral, handbrake on, wheels chocked.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 42538

Sponsored Links