4wd course

Good day to all the guru's, I have had a lot of four-b-4 driving experience all in manual 4x4's i have crossed rivers and climbed and on occasions i have done a lot of beach fishing and driving, I am calling it quits until I learn how to drive this pathfinder of mine, every time I go near my favourite fishing hole in this new vehicle tyre down to 15psi it still wants to go down, ok the sand is extremely soft, I wear that but I am now frustrated with it, the question is who has the best 4x4 course here in W.A, and maybe my wife can finally learn to drive one herself. I am open for suggestions.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 02:03

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 02:03
Hi Broodie,

Can't tell you the name, as they are not a business member.

Their courses are serious fun and are good on Oz Tracks.

There is a sand course running on Sunday July 1st, though their instructor is a bit of a nut lol.

Good to see someone taking the best step in four wheel driving and wanting their wife to learn too!!

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 489259

Reply By: feathery - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:22

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:22
Before you spend money on course try locking the transmission in the gear you think you will need to get through . I took a r50 pathfinder through the CSR and Simpson had trouble until I worked out that when the auto changes down even though smooth it it let the car drop in the sand about 30 mm this was enough to give trouble hope this helps

Greg
AnswerID: 489262

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:41

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:41
I will second this suggestion.
My friend was following me in his auto pathfinder in deep sand & he kept getting stuck on even small sandhills. I suggested to him to select the appropriate gear & then he got over them first attempt after that.

I drive a manual fourby & always select the correct gear before entering deep sand then you don't lose any momentum changing down.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 764424

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:37

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:37
This is my first auto matic 4x4 and will probably be my last, it has a7 speed manual shift but it won't lock into a specific gear if you rev to much the auto takes back over,same if you drop the revs, the only time I have found a practical use for the seven speed gears is when I am towing the van and taking off from traffic lights,and up hills,as for soft sand, it has got to be rocket science, or a computer,either way, I need some one to teach me how to drive it in boggy sand.
cheers
broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764440

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:33

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:33
Hi Broodie

Just another thought before doing anything drastic.

TYRE PRESSURES............??????????

As you mentioned that the sand is very soft and in reality 15psi is still not that low, try dropping the tyre pressure another 5psi.

Over the years we have driven the Simpson Desert countless times and you can never drive the same track with the same conditions. We have driven across with pressures as high as 24psi when the sand was very damp and was like driving on cement roads, and then the same track in very dry times and even 12 psi we were still getting bogged.

I bet you will find that regardless of what course you do, tyre pressure will come before anything.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489277

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:48

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:48
Hi Ya Stephen, I have had the tyre pressure down to 10 psi and thought I might be walking home, this fishing hole that I go to is the only spot that I seem to get stuck, and it is getting very frustrating, might have to go back to white hills, and do something safe,and catch less fish.I didn't have any problems when we were a lake Eyre and surrounding country.
Regards
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764443

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:04

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:04
A lot of advice that doesn't answer your original question or go anywhere near teaching your wife.

You can contact us rocky_hj60@yahoo.com.au

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 489279

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:40

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:40
Good morning Wayne, sorry about not getting back to you, I have been researching 4x4 driving courses and now that it is Monday I will be able to contact some of them directly, I shall send you an email directly, chat soon.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764513

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 19:37

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 19:37
Hi Broodie,

No problems, I look forward tp your contact.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally
FollowupID: 764547

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:55

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:55
Broodie,

Lots of information and the answer is simple..

Whoever you choose should be accredited as a training organisation (RTO) and train to the current drive and recover standards.

SISODRV302A Drive and Recover a 4WD. (Recreation)
This standard is used in the Resources industry, Mining , Forestry under various accreditations RIIVEH305A FPOCOT2234A and FPIFGM3208A.

These courses are Nationally recognised and meet the standards in all states.

Many Association 4WD Clubs can offer this qualification.

All these training organisations should/will be able to help you, advise you with your vehicle and in all aspects.

Just type "4wd training WA" into Google.
AnswerID: 489283

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:23

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:23
Thanks for that tony,I will check them out, as it sounds more like the info I was after. catch you in the outback some time .
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764455

Reply By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:57

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:57
Brodie

Just a thought but how many acronyms do you have on that car ie, abs, hdc, hla, tsm, lac, eba, esc, etc etc.......

Turn as many of as you can and then give that track another go.

AnswerID: 489433

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:45

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:45
Hi ya Wicket, If you can think of ten then this vehicle has them all, believe me when I tell you there is nothing missing on it at all, I have had the vehicle now for ten months and I have only read a third of the manual, it is that thick, as for turning things off or on I think maybe I don't realy know what to push, pull,or cut off, it is that hi tech, if the hilux could have towed the caravan legally I don't think I would have changed vehicles, I had no problems with that getting bogged or in any of the land cruisers that I have owned over the years, ah well progress you might call it, me I call it frustration, but in saying that it is the best 4x4 that we have owned as far as comfort in long distance travel is concerned, and in most situations a very capable 4x4,to the point that I think it may out do the hilux that we had except for this one beach that I go to for fishing, hence the driving course and get to understand what all this Hi tech stuff does, so to answer your question, I don't know what to turn off even after reading the manual.
Regards
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764615

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:38

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:38
I feel for you Broodie , as I now have an auto 4800 Patrol and its auto can get confused and swap gears more than it should.

We aslo have an R51 in our extended family and the manual is indeed filled with descriptions of all sorts of sub systems and its hard to sort it out.

A 4wd course won't help a lot unless they specificaly know your vehicle and its systems - check this if you go down that path.

I always like to collect the relevant info on any issue and as one part of this go to Nissan - be persistent and ask the questions.

However from our experience I can tell you 2 things that work in mud and track sand (not tried on beach).

First is that the R51 has very limited wheel travel , much less than equivalent cars like Prados, this makes the electronic sub systems come in both earlier and harder.

A suspension change is required to fix this - 40mm lifts and even lower tyre pressures like 10 psi will help with effective suspension trave.

Second is an issue specific to the autos, autos are actually surposed to be better in sand and this can be true as they change gear faster and hence less momentum is lost and momentum is king in sand.

What you don't get told is that some autos can get into a mode where they swap back and forth several times as load comes on/off and the net loss is more than a single manual shift.

One thing you can do about this is drive in high range more than is reccomended in sand/mud , this keeps the transmission in torque converter mode and revs higher with less gear changing.
This mode uses more fuel and heats up oil more but this is no real issue for short beach runs.

Check this mode of driving out , we ran a test sequence up a 150m 30 degree upslope in which we recorded some 20 gear changes in low range and I think it was 2 or 3 in high range.

Quite a revealing test actually.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489583

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 20:58

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 20:58
Hi Broodie,

THANKS for a GREAT day out!!

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 489910

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 10:13

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 10:13
Thank you very much for the info yesterday Wayne,and the help, Pauline feels she got a lot out of the practical application, and I know I did, and the company was good too. Just sorry Sally could not have come with us. Any way thank you for the help.
Broodie H3.
P.S. Feel like doing the power line track some time give me a call. would love to go and try it out. thank you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765083

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 01:33

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 01:33
Hi Broodie .......... and Mrs Broodie,
Originally I was going to say,

When you get the suspension up grade and do the same with the tyres.

Though I understand that there has been some work done on sections of the Power line track, it may not be SO bad.

I will keep in touch through e-mail.

Sally had a great day out and is a little disapointed to have missed out on meeting you too ............. though the Suzuki is pretty dirty :-)

Maybe keepimg the 23rd of September free would be good, the W.A. 4WD Association will be on the track doing some clean up work. I will send details as they are released.

Cheers for now,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 765168

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:54

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:54
will do that, although I think we maybe in Geraldton about that time,but I will definitely keep it in mind, any way thank you once again for the tuition.
Regards
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765200

Sponsored Links