DIY oil change in Kalgoorlie?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:56
ThreadID: 96461 Views:3238 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We'll be travelling the CSR soon and I'd like to change the engine oil in the trusty cruiser after travelling from Melbourne to Kalgoorlie but before getting onto the CSR.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a caravan park or other facility in Kalgoorlie (or thereabouts) where I can do the oil change myself?

Thx,
Laurie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 14:05

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 14:05
Google is your friend....

http://recyclingnearyou.com.au/motor-oil/KalgoorlieBoulderWA
AnswerID: 489292

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 14:10

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 14:10
Go to the auto parts store ans get a 10l container of oil. A filter a 99c bucket and a 5$ funnel. When at the checkout get directions to the dump

Then take any of the 000 bush tracks just out of town and dump the oil into the bucket. Change the filter. After refilling decant the oil from the bucket back into the container using the funnel and take the oil to the tip for free disposal
AnswerID: 489293

Follow Up By: rainbowprof - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:26

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:26
ha ha, that's great, get outmore. Too obvious. The 99c bucket and funnel is perfect.
FollowupID: 764465

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 14:25

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 14:25
4 years ago we were travelling the east coast and I needed a service on the cruiser, I had all the gear to do it but decided to ask a local in Bundaberg.
I supplied the oil and filters and they did a great job straight away, they even fixed a broken bolt on the alternator something I would have missed, they charged me less than a $100.

Just before Xmas this year I was in Bundaberg and the Colorado needed a 20k service, guess where I went, they even remembered me, I asked when would they be able to do it as I expected them to be busy, the lady told us to go have some lunch at the pub and come back when we were finished, once again I supplied the gear and they did a great job this time it was $120 and I was happy to support them again.

I guess what I am saying is even if you can do it yourself, we should support towns along the way.

Phil
AnswerID: 489295

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:24

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:24
Hi Laurie

We were always prepared to do our own oil changes if need be when travelling, but due to disposal issues and the potential for large fines for any spillage, we preferred to have it professionally done. We carry our own oil and filters, and re-purchase at first opportunity after a service. We find many mechanics are booked up for a couple of weeks when we only want to stay for a day or two, however have always followed leads and eventually found a small workshop willing to do the job, and each case we have been impressed with the service and the workshop. It has cost under $100 each time. You could even for the use of a mechanical workshop, and just pay a little for the use of pit and for his disposal fee.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489299

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 16:26

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 16:26
Go to a ruck or bus depot and ask them if you can change the oil in their yard.
They are usually helpful and even have waste oil disposal there already for you.
The exchange of a few dollars would be in order for good will reasons.
AnswerID: 489307

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 18:13

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 18:13
Laurie,
I do all my own changes and never have a problem.

I carry a 20l oil drum that I have cut the side out of. In this drum I carry my funnel, filter strap, Grease gun, paper towel, 5l of shellite for clean up, a couple of empty 5l oil containers and some green garbage bags. I also carry a rolled up piece of vinyl to lie on.

I have just changed mine a the Bungle Bungle Caravan park after I asked if there was a place to do it. They were very helpful allowing me to change it near their genset and drop the old oil in a 1000l pod.

I have changed it in Alice on a side road near the dump. On a fence line near Innaminka. On a side road in the Border Ranges. At Kuridala and then my brain gives up as I can't remember where else.

I don't drop any oil on the ground and always drop the old oil off at a recycling center.

Mate I am not a cheap skate but I just always do my own so I know it is done right.

AnswerID: 489322

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 19:13

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 19:13
You must be towing a trailer with all that extra gear. We only have the Cruiser, so space is a premium.

We did the Kimberley last year - we enjoyed the Bungle Bungle. When we stayed in Kununurra, we stayed at the Hidden Valley Caravan Park. With Kununurra Toyota booked out for weeks ahead, we bought our own oil (we carry space oil filters) & used the Caravan Park's oil changing / car wash area - they also recycle our own oil - no extra charge, so we were impressed.

We were hoping for something similar in or near Kalgoorlie, but we haven't been able to locate anything yet.

Laurie
FollowupID: 764477

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 19:49

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 19:49
Yep at the moment I have a van in tow but most of the other times it is me and the wife in the Troopie. Guess this is the beauty of a Troopcarrier.
FollowupID: 764484

Sponsored Links