Duchess Cloncurry road

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 20:57
ThreadID: 96469 Views:2348 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We are bush camping overnight on the Burke river near Boulia racecourse and leaving tomorrow morning to go towards Cloncurry where we are meeting friends on Tuesday evening. I am hoping someone who has travelled the Dajarra Cloncurry road recently can give me an update before we leave, as to what it is like (eg unsuitable for vans, rough, corrugated....etc.) and how much is still dirt as we would like to see a new road rather than go all the way to Mt Isa and then along the Highway.

My maps give conflicting information and the only other thread I could find was from back in 2005, so I guess is pretty much out of date.

Also are there any bush camping opportunities anywhere along the road? If not we will stay at Dajarra.

We are driving a Pajero and towing a van and have been on lots of dirt and outback roads recently.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 22:04

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 22:04
me and my work mates on our day off, drove to duchess from mt isa and went up to cloncurry.
and then turned around and went back via the tar.

awesome road!!, heaps of pot holes, washouts, corrigations.
i was driving a dual cab td hilux manual, empty tray and had a ball!!.
real country road! kind of been a while for me.

this was in dec last year though?
take it easy, drop into the pub, have a quick drink, dont think youd get a counter, just a microwave pie is whats on offer and keep going.
old school pub, early days...... feel about it.

take care with the caravan, dont drive over 80km/h. MAX. 70 even better.
they might of graded it by then.
some creek crossings, washouts realy need you to drop to 15 20 km even more soo with a van.
water wasnt an issue for us, mind you make sure you dont get on it when its rained before about a couple of days.
the road would turn to crap then.
definatly do that road!!

had a blast.

ENJOY
AnswerID: 489352

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 05:55

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 05:55
Thanks for that Mountainman,

Do it is unsealed from Duchess through to Cloncurry then? You don't happen to know what the Dajarra Duchess bit is like do you?

If not we will ask before leaving Boulia this morning, or when we get to Dajarra if I can find someone there to ask.

regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764505

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:32

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:32
Heather,

That road is sealed and will get regular maintenance.

It services Phosphate Hill and Osbourne mines with freight.

Have driven that road many times with no problems, Just watch for roadtrains and give them plenty of room as the last trailer may more around a fair bit.

Here is a photo of the good old days.

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 489363

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:37

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:37
Heather,
sorry I miss read your post and only advised on the Cloncurry to Duchess section.

But I am pretty sure Dejarra to Duchess is now sealed.
FollowupID: 764506

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 21:28
Hi Rockape,

We arrived in Cloncurry this morning. Bush camped on the road about 90 kms from Dajarra (about half way point) last night and missed meeting any other traffic for the whole trip.

Not long after we set up camp, there were a couple of road trains and a few 4WDs, and then after dark a few more of each....lots of dust too but we were wise enough to pull up on the eastern? side of the road and the wind blew it away from us.
Had a small campfire and cooked our dinner, all alone...it was great!

I can now report that the road from Dajarra for about 100 kms is unsealed and pretty rough in places. We were careful when necessary and had no problems.

It was sealed about thirteen kms from where we camped through to Cloncurry this morning and was good road. Very scenic as well.
thanks and regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764667

Reply By: mountainman - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 18:22

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 18:22
cant remember to be honest, but from mt isa to duchess, was dirt to tar in some sections.

maybe you can fill me in when you go.

we turned off the tar from mt ISA and took the dirt road to duchess? only road from isa???

had pretty well tar from duchess to cloncurry.
AnswerID: 489393

Sponsored Links