Laverton to Ulluru

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 21:06
ThreadID: 96470 Views:2042 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Any advice for first timer across the Great Central Road from Laverton to Uluru. I have a Nissan Patrol and intend to give it a good service before I leave and get a second spare tyre.
1. Going at end of september. Is that okay for heat, rain and road conditions?
2. What spare parts or other recovery equipment would I need? (e.g. Do I need a second battery etc.)
3. Will I need a sat phone, or CB?
4. Is RAC recovery going to support me on the road?
5. !s Diesel fuel readily available?
6. How long should it take?
7. How fast should i drive over the unsealed road - just a Patrol, no trailer?
Do you have any other advice, or suggested equipment or comforts to take. I have contact friends in Laverton, Warburton and Warrykurna, who might be able to put us up, or let us pitch tent in grounds.
Going with wife and 13 year old and bit nervous of breaking down and getting stranded, but looking forward o the adventure.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 21:28

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 21:28
Have you seen the Trek notes for that run, on this site ?
Great Central Road WA
AnswerID: 489347

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:55

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:55
Gday Dom,
You might need to be more specific with your questions mate. Unless people know a bit more about you its going to be hard to give you reasonable answers?

1. Depends on what YOU call ok? And know one can tell you if the road will be open or graded around then.
2. What spares? Its a well maintained (normally) and well traveled road. You know your car better than anyone else.
3. No. Let people know where your going and when your expected to arrive.
4. Depends on what level of cover your paying for I guess?
5. How often do you need fuel? Id call it readily available.
6. 9-10 hours at 110 kmh....how fast do you drive.... what will the road be like then? Refer to answer no. 1.
7.??????? Im not even going to answer that!

You will have to do a bit of homework.....there are lots of good sites on the web and information on here. But you need to read it and relate it to your own circumstances and expierience..... Ill try and post some links.

Cheers

AnswerID: 489373

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:58

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:58
The Outbackway

This site should have everything you need
FollowupID: 764516

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:20

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:20
G'day Hairy

Of course you can answer Q7 .

People should DRIVE TO THE CONDITIONS.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 764555

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:11

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:11
Hi Dom,

Haven't driven the GCR yet, but suggest you do a search in the Blogs sections Use "Great Central Road" and you should get over 40 blogs relating to that road. That should help answer some of your questions.

In response to your statement that you are a bit nervous about breaking down - to put that in perspective, when did you last break down and need roadside help? Why would you need a second battery if you are just driving the road - but if you are on an extended camping trip, then it might be a different matter.

Cheers,

Val

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489374

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:23

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:23
Hi Dom

Take is easy and be ready to respond to rough patches. Speed may vary between say 80-90 kph and down to 30 kph.

If there is much rain, it will be a different story. Times of rain can be unpredictable these days.

Some people have done in three tyres on the run - we had no tyre problems at all (across eight tyres on the rig), but we do let them down.

If you want the security of communications take a Satellite phone or have HF radio. There will be other vehicles coming through.

Check you RAC cover for their kilometre from town limits. Recovery out there could be rather costly.Check My Blog from 2008; we stayed three nights along the way, once stopping early due to a dust storm and a spring breakdown.

The early morning weather station tour at Giles Weather Station Warakurna is really good.

Do you have many breakdowns where you normally drive? This should be no different.

We came back from our trip in late September and the weather was pleasant.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489419

Reply By: Holden4th - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:12

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:12
I did the GCR from Laverton to Uluru in two days without really pushing the envelope. I stayed at Warburton Roadhouse.

The road in the Laverton shire was excellent, better than a lot of sealed roads I've driven. Moving into the next shire the road deteriorated but your Patrol will still handle it with ease.

Fuel is available at Tjukayirla Roadhouse, Warburton Roadhouse, Warrakurna and Docker River. Prices run around the $2.30 - $2.50 mark.

Ring RAC and ask - you might have to upgrade your membership.

I'd definitely have a UHF and a sat phone wouldn't hurt either.

Don't forget to get your transit permits. You'll need one for the WA side and one for the NT side. More info in the trek notes mentioned before.

Finally, have a read of this it's very recent.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/95931/Great_central_Road.aspx
AnswerID: 489424

Follow Up By: Dom W - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 23:56

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 23:56
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to get a few spare things for 4wd. People have suggested gaffer tape / hose tape, plenty of water, tyre puncture kit, plank of wood for stabilising jack if a bit soft, and the one extra spare wheel. Not certain about tyre pressures on unsealed roads. Have driven short distances on these roads and have hated the constant rumbling which feels like the car is about to fall apart. Which is why I needed advice re the tyre pressures and what speeds to travel at if the roads are flat, dry and in good condition. Not sure about sat phones or cb etc. as we are only going in October and people say that there are always people up and down that road to help! Thanks again
FollowupID: 765386

Sponsored Links