Antenna tek wind up antenna with no reception

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 00:30
ThreadID: 96473 Views:5091 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
hi! My girlfriends dad recently purchased a Avan Owen caravan and it is fitted with an antenna tek wind up antenna. He doesn't seem to.be able to get little if any tv reception in regional w.a. My van is next to his and my reception is close to perfect. I'm using a happy wanderer antenna which looks like two bits of white conduit. Has anyone else had dramas with this brand? He has just got this van and is pretty upset, the wheel arches are too small for the wheels fitted as standard and they scrub the side walls, the sky light latches broke and it flung open on the road, and now the antenna doesn't seem to work! I feel sorry for him as it's meant to be a fun time away. inside on the wall it has a red push swith which says on off but we don't know what it is for? We assumed it's the 12v booster? Anyone with any suggestions which may help me fix it for him would be muchly appreciated!! Were in Geraldton ATM heading up the coast. Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 06:55

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 06:55
Hi. I have/had the Antenna Tek system in a Jayco Sterling 2010. I found it pretty hit and miss to the point I removed it recently. The small button inside should be for the booster. When it is on a red led light should glow. It must be on to get reception. Other than that it is just point the ariel in the right direction and tune the TV in. Maybe try his Tele in your van to double check. I have been in places beside others who had good reception and with ours none. Thats why I took mine out. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 489360

Follow Up By: jacent - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 00:00
Both cast brackets on his awning have snapped off yesterday so no more awning for the rest of the trip for him! What a lemon
FollowupID: 764851

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:47

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:47
Very dissappointing for them. My commiserations. Hopefully, this wont put them off vanning and they can work there way through it. Bob
FollowupID: 764924

Follow Up By: jacent - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 15:35

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 15:35
are you ready for this? they arrived in broome and their tyres were smoking! they took it to a caravan repairer and he said the manufacturer had put too big rims on the van and the tyres were heating up because they were rubbing on the wheel arches! repair guy said its lucky the van didnt catch fire! they had to get smaller rims fitted ( which Avan apparently agreed to pay for)
FollowupID: 766655

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 15:59

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 15:59
Just a small point. Get the bloke who said that they were the wrong wheels to put it in writing. Maybe even just on the recipt with these words would help; "Oversize wheel set which was rubbing on bodywork causing overheating and smoking, replaced by a more safer and suitable set".

Keep a log of faults and damages with dates and places.

The idea is that the paperwork should help with warranty claims etc back home. Just a receipt may not suffice if it gets nasty.

FollowupID: 766658

Follow Up By: jacent - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 17:02

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 17:02
oh ok good idea, thanks for the advice i will let him know!
FollowupID: 766664

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 18:31

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 18:31
Just keep it in the back pocket. No need to show all up front. Not to be sneaky. Just careful.
FollowupID: 766672

Sponsored Links