Neale Junction to Ilkurika on the AB

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 15:50
ThreadID: 96483 Views:2036 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon all, I'm calculating distances and possible fuel consumption for a trip from Kalgoorlie via the Trans Line Track to Rawlinna & the AB north to Warburton. Using the Ozi Explorer distance markers it will be about 1018km without any deviations. And I intend to do a few deviations of say 100km +/-.

My 1HZ Troopy is about to get a new exhaust and extractors and I'll be towing a camper trailer, so fuel consumption for the new set-up, loaded vehicle and trailer is unknown. In theory based on 5L/Km I should be able to get at least 1100+ Km out of the 240L I'll have in the 2 fuel tanks. I'd prefer not having to carry spare fuel on the roof or inside the car if I can avoid it.

Now for the question: If my guestimate goes south on me and I'm forced to do the 171Km run into Ilkurika what sort of conditions am I likely to expect in terms of corrugations, sand dunes, narrowness of the track etc. Not overly fazed by roughness or softness but it will affect my time table. At this stage I'm allowing 3 hrs each way.

Thanks.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 16:20

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 16:20
Dunc
just looked up details of our trip in 2010 on the way to EO gathering
we stoppped for fuel at Ilkurka mid morning ,had a shower and early lunch
then went west and had a look at the plane wreck and I remember when we got to Neale Juction there was a vehicle camped there that had come down the Connie Sue. we pushed on and camped a further 100 km west but it was almost dark when we pulled up.
based onthe fact we did just under 300 km that afternoon I would say your timeline estimate of 3hrs would be close. we werent towing but did do a bit of sightseeing and stopped a couple of times.
have a good trip
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489385

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 19:50

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 19:50
Thanks Howard, just the information I was after. 171Km detour for fuel one way sounds mad but better that than running out.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764550

Reply By: Kanga1 - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 19:24

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 19:24
Hi Dunc. When we went through there last year, the AB from Neale junction to Ilkurlka for the most part was pretty good, a couple of sections were a bit washed out but nothing too drastic, if there hasn't been much significant rain since then, 3 hours should be plenty for that section. If you are driving late in the afternoon keep your eyes open for Thorny Devils, they like sunning themselves in the track in the afternoons.
Do you have a non standard fuel tank in your Troopy ( mine has factory 90litres x 2)?
That part of the AB is a pretty good sandy road reasonably wide and not overgrown, unless the wind has blown over some scrub. Might be an idea to ring them at Ilkurlka, just to make sure they have fuel and there is somebody there to sell it to you on your likely arrival date.
With your fuel consumption, you might find that it doesn't change much or even improves over highway figures. My Troopy is very good trundelling along in 3rd and 4th High range. We only used 4WD a couple of times on the whole AB in the South Australian Desert section ( really beautiful country though) loaded and towing the Tvan.
Are we going to see the new rig on the Safari this year? All the best, Adriane and Gill.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 489397

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:02

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:02
Hi Adriane say hi to Gill for me. Thanks for the info. If I'd only thought I could of given you a call this arvo. Dher forgot you did this last year.

BTW did you sell the T Van?

Mine is the 1999 model but I think it was built to the previous model specs as it has a 60L as the sub tank and 90L main. Getting a 155L one from ORE so in theory 245+/-. Also getting a new exhaust system and extractors and roof rack whilst it's there. A duel wheel carrier is also ordered. Will be building the false floor over the 125L water tank which I've bought this weekend weather permitting. When all that's done I'll get it to the auto sparky to get all my accessories wired in (think I'll have to sell a kidney and somebodies first born to pay for his bill).

Unless I break it between now and the end of September I'll have it on Safari. Down to do Stops and flying finishes again. We actually have a special training day in a couple of weeks time, something to do with Motorcycle Australia Accreditation Training.

Don't know if I'll see you and Gill at the September training session as I may still be away on this 3 week trip?

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764551

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:12

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:12
Dunc, Gill says G'day mate, with that big tank and dual wheel carrier, you might have to upgrade the rear springs, see how it looks when all loaded.
We still have the Tvan, I have it for sale on rvsales.com.au and the Sunday times, hope to sell her before we move to Tasmania!!! Hopefully moving after the Safari. Looking forward to having a look over your new bus. Cheers for now, A and G.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 764554

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:27

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:27
Tassie? We'll have to talk about that one.

Vehicles lifted but yes it may sag. Upgraded suspension is a chore for next year.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764567

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:15

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:15
Hi Duncan

If you have to head east from Neale Junction, you will be travelling on true Outback Highway conditions at its very best, wide and smooth and very good going, to the point where speed will creep up on you if you do not watch out and in some sections it would be very safe to sit on 100kph if you had to.

Here are a couple of images of what it is like between Neale Junction and Ilkurlka.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489399

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:31

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:31
Unless the track is wet, then the track starts to get a bit dodgy :))

Image Could Not Be Found

Picture taken January 2006

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764560

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:29

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:29
Thanks Stephen and Alan. Hope I have the Stephen experience rather than your's Alan.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764568

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:20

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:20
I think we're all a bit blind or tired today/night. Heading north from Rawlinna is on the Connie Sue all the way to the GSR & Warburton not AB as I wrote. I turn left at Neale Junction to go to Ilkurika on the AB.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764574

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:30

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:30
Hi Duncan

You must be very tired.......LOL

Turning left coming north up the Connie Sue will see you heading for Laverton...

It has been a long day.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764577

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:32

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:32
Hey left, right or straight ahead - all nice country!!!

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764578

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 23:32

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 23:32
%#it I'm tired and yes it's been a very long couple of weeks. Ok I'll head north then East turn around go west and then north again.

Keyboards should come with an inbuilt compass. LOL
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764583

Reply By: wombat100 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:55
Hiya Dunc
It may not be waste of time to phone Ilkurlka to ensure they have fuel!! A few years back we drained there fuel supplies, as the 'truck' had broken down near Neale Junction, and fuel delivery was delayed for about a week.
AnswerID: 489440

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:46
G'day Wombat, I hear what you say. I'll definately be doing that.

Cheers
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764634

Sponsored Links