Rear Power outlet - GU Nissan ST 3.0L - Bugger

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 18:57
ThreadID: 9649 Views:5391 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone able to tell me if there is already power cables from the front to the back of the Nissan Patrol in the latest model [2003]. I was a bit of a gumby apparently as I forgot to check that it had the outlet for the Engel and just assumed it was tucked away in a panel pocket to be brought out when needed [like the Commodore light cord for towing]

Looked in the book today and it says "Power Outlet (Where fitted)". I can see where its supposed to go but it ain't there. Would I be safe to assume that in the panel behind it there is going to be a wiring harness that will allow me to do put one in or not!

And yes, I know there standard in a basic yota. I have them both [one for work] and I like em both!!

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 20:56

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 20:56
Not sure if there is, but after helping a new club member with his TD6 GU Diesel, the wires that are used in the side panels arent around substantial...

Your best off to run a new cable from the second battery, Via a fuse box.
AnswerID: 42511

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 21:59

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 21:59
Spot on T-Man, minimum 6mm thru a fuse at the battery. Forget the original wiring.Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304928

Follow Up By: Member - Russell S - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:31

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:31
I'm with him. Easy to do, and your fridge will love you for it....Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 305051

Reply By: Lyds - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:14

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:14
Don't stop at 1. There never seems to be enough powerpoints.Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 42517

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 13:09

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 13:09
Monypit

Can't say anything about the Series three but I've learnt from reading Nissan manuals that we miss out on a lot of the options that they have in other places. Experince comes from my first, a 92 TI GQ which didn't have the rear drink coolers, air ducts etc that were obviously available elsewhere. So if you can't find it it isn't there despite what the manual says.

TJM make a bronzed mounting plate that fits neatly inside the left hand side rear panel of the patrol. About $15.00. You can fit three power outlets to it. I have one fitted with a cigarette lighter socket and a 2-pole socket for the fridge, wired separatly of course.
I'm not an expert but make sure the power point intended for the fridge in particular has adequate wiring and fusing. Get some adivice as I have heard that wiring of the wrong size can cause damage to fridge motors over a period of time.
Also when you run the wiring into here make sure that you shove some foam / sponge rubber down into the gap behing the panel. These areas are not particularly dust proof and can be the source of dust entry into the rear.
AnswerID: 42577

Reply By: joc45 - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:05

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:05
Yeh, the book says "where fitted". I've got a 2000 model, and what cheesed me off was the 4wd rags quoted it as having an outlet. They never checked (never do), just quoted from some Nissan splurge. But as said, the original cable is never hefty enough anyway, and would probably run thru the acc switch, like the Tojos.
I've run a hefty cable down the passenger side, fits neatly under the scuff plates under the doors. Had to pull out the plastic liner on the LH rear quarter to get it right thru. I have a connector behind the little hatch at the rear (use my own kind of connector on flying leads).
Just make sure that where there is a possibility of the cable chafing, to slide over some extra insulation, such as clear beverage tube. And use cable ties to anchor it here and there, even tho it's out of sight. Don't forget a fuse/circuit breaker back at the front of the vehicle.
Gerry
AnswerID: 42605

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:00
Agree with Gerry...even if you had the power outlet it would be a moot point as the original cable is never hefty enough to run an fridge and would need to be replaced anyway. Found this out first hand with our previous 4WD, a Pajero, which had a OEM cigarette style plug. First weekend away the engel barely cooled as it just couldn't get enough power.

Incidently, our GU did not not have an outlet and although it was a pain, it wasn't difficult to run the cable and mount a plug in the back inside the little panel compartment where it is tucked away out of sight and out of the way when not in use. Whole job probably took an hour.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
FollowupID: 305125

Reply By: Member - Richard- Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:31

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:31
Bars and Racks at Hornsby charged me $130 to put 2 extra outlets in the back of my Frontera. Why bother stuffing around doing it yourself.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 42732

Sponsored Links