the old third wheel boat trailer design hunt

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:58
ThreadID: 96493 Views:4283 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know where I could get plans or ideas for a drop down spare wheel holder for a boat trailer? I want to have the spare mounted on a hub that can swivel down at the front of the boat trailer to make launching and retrieving easier across a beach. Would appreciate some pictures or designs if someone is willing to hand them over. I've priced just the swivel plate and axle without the hub and it came in around $200. Surely should be able to weld something together cheaper than that.
Look forward to hearing from you've

Ps I currently have a standard Dunbar trailer for my 5 mtr trail craft and am looking into taking up north. Should I replace the standard tow hitch with a treg hitch and add extra heavy duty leave springs and springs?? Any advice anyone has on this would be appreciated
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:15

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:15
If I was you Id drive down to the a busy boat ramp on the weekend and look at trailers. I have one on my trailer but Im at work til next week. Can send a pic then though?
Biggest drama doing it yourself is you really need to get it galvanised, so need to be careful to construct in a way suitable for that, drain holes, gaps etc.
AnswerID: 489435

Follow Up By: davidx - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 20:24

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 20:24
thanks for the advice. will make sure I use a two pack on all welds. Have been keeping an eye on various designs and there seems to heaps of different options.
FollowupID: 764929

Reply By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 22:03
Mate if going up north look at replacing your axle with a hd 45mm one. I have already had to do this on my Dunbier.The orinigal bent downwards in the middle wearingb the tyres out.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 489494

Reply By: Joe G2 - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 19:34

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 19:34
The heavy axle could be a good idea but think long and hard about heavier springs as you want the springs to work properly if their to hard they will more likely damage your boat (from bitter experience)

Joe
AnswerID: 489550

Sponsored Links