Water Filter for the Caravan?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:00
ThreadID: 96495 Views:3277 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

The wife is placing a fair bit of pressure on to install a filter system in the caravan for drinking water. I was considering a 12 volt pump & filter type but wanted to know what you guys think of them, which brand should I look at (there is a budget however I'd really only like to install it once and have it work well!).

Any advice you are able to give would be invaluable,

Cheers

Derm:D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:34

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:34
Hi Derm:D

I filter all the water into the caravan. I have a filter body that has quick release garden fittings on both sides also a ball valve(tap) to stop water while hooking up or changing tanks.

I use drinking water quality hose so no taste goes into the tanks. Was caught out in the early days with a bad hose.

Hope that gives you an idea.

DW
AnswerID: 489437

Reply By: Mad Habits - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:37

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:37
Here you go - bolt this to your van ebay Item number: 400305507503 (put No in ebay search field I got mine for $37 including freight)

I put one on mine so I can run the drinking water hose to it and then another out and fill tanks with filtered water. To make sure the connections don't get dirty when no hoses are attached I clip on the appropriate hose connections that I have blocked the holes with silicon so no dirt or insects can get into the system. Also when putting the hoses away use connector coupling and join both ends of hose together so no dirt or insects can get in the hose whilst stored in the van.

Then I have a bench top filter 0.2 micron attached to the tap so I filter the filtered tank water for drinking , see this ebay item number: 350575370851 (all filters are readily available at Bunnings if you are on the move).

So buy both of those and go to Bunnings and get a 0.2 micron filter for the bench top one (so that will give you a spare 1 micron for the filter you attach to the van).

Bench top model just screws to the tap outlet after un-screwing the wire airator. We just lay it down in in the sink when on the move (so no need to disconnect it from the tap).

We have been on the road since October and have changed the bench top filter once, whole system works great and that seller is fantastic too!

You should get out of this for around $150 all up, so there's no excuse to the missus that will appease her while she's having a rectal blowout because of drinking water with pathogens

CHEAP AND GOOD and reliable!

Cheers Nigel
AnswerID: 489445

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:30
If you have a water pump system in your van then this permanent system is the one I would recommend.

Everpre SystemImage Could Not Be Found

I have built this system into the last 2 vans and into several friends vans and they do work well.
Fitted them under the sink and plumbed into the existing pipework. With the additional outlet next to the sink tap.
This then allows you to use ordinary water for washing up etc and to use the filter for drinking and cooking only.
Note that the filter gets rid of the real nasties.

I have no connection to this firm but love their product and any handy man can install it.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489472

Sponsored Links