Short Trip Birdsville/Poeppel Corner

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:18
ThreadID: 96502 Views:5024 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We will be visiting Birdsville in September on a caravan trip & wanted to leave the van there & doing a trip to Poeppel Corner - camping out there somewhere for a night or 2.
About 4 years ago we did a 3 day trip on the other side of the Simpson & thoroughly enjoyed it. Have been to Birdsville twice before, including Big Red. Last time was last year.
Just a couple of questions, a: approx how long to drive to Poeppel Corner,
b: is it best to camp somewhere around the Eyre Creek area & c: what to do about a sand flag as I don't want to spend money for perhaps only 2 days. I have a UHF aerial on my bullbar - would it suffice to put something on the aerial - just wouldn't be as high as the normal sand flags?
Thanks, Willy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:31

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:31
Personally I would be a little cheesed off if I met you at the crest of a dune and all you had was a whimpy little bit of rag on the radio antenna that wasn't visible until I was right on top of you.

Get a bit of dowel, conduit or anything in the shed or and old fishing rod and make one. Even an old pair of underchungers will do as a flag. Pink ones will get anyones attention.
AnswerID: 489444

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:39

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:39
Hi Willy,

The whole point of a sand flag is that its higher than the vehicle so it can give a bit of advance warning to oncoming vehicles of your approach over a dune. Anything that is visible will do - an old safety vest is good, or even the red bra that we saw a few years ago. An old fishing rod makes a good pole, lashed onto your bull bar with gaffer tape.

Cheers,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489446

Reply By: Mazdave - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:44

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:44
Another option is to use fibreglass tent poles, the ones that hold up a dome tent horizontally. Just tape them together, the height is only limited by the number of poles.
AnswerID: 489448

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:31

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:31
Its a bit foolish not to have a sand flag in my opinion. Cheap safety measure that can save a lot of heartache. You might end up with another 4B sitting on your lap at the top of a dune. Use your UHF as well every now and then to let others know you are around.

There is other traffic out there so its best for all to play it safe.

Aprox 1 full days drive out to Poeppel Corner from Big Red in good conditions.

Lots of great camping spots in between the dunes.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489454

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:01
They were hiring proper sand flags from the Birdsville Caravan Park last year for people who were going out to Big Red along the border fence detour. Try them.
FollowupID: 764641

Reply By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 13:27

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 13:27
5 hours can do it comfortably, but that depends on how many stops you make, current conditions at the time, whether you get stuck on dunes etc.
It could take as long as you want it to take.
We did it a bit over 3 years ago, Birdsville to the corner and back in the one day.
Others say it takes longer, and what it boils down to, is how many stops you make, and for how long they last.
Just in case you missed the subtle hints from others, you should think of getting a higher flag.
Have a good trip.
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489458

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 15:03

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 15:03
A few weeks ago we left Birdsville around 10am in the Oka, arrived at Poeppels corner at around 5pm tired after a long day. Sand conditions are quite soft at the moment, lots were having trouble on the little red crossing as it has a big sandblow on it.
We stopped for morning tea and lunch and drove over all the dunes first go so if you have a few attempts at some it will take longer.
We only did it in the one day to catch up with the rest of the group after a quick trip back to Birdsville from Eyre Creek for medical attention.
AnswerID: 489466

Sponsored Links