Should I buy the Uniden UH7700 CB?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:33
ThreadID: 96505 Views:3665 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in the market for a CB radio and only want to buy it once! Basically, I like the price of a bundle for the Uniden CB's but really want to know if its the right thing to buy. Will be mostly staying on the straight and narrow, will be attempting the Oodnadatta Track in September so I think I should have one.

Also, what type of ariel should I buy? Looks like there are packages available with an antenna for around $210 (one with stainless steel & thinner top bit with a sprial up near the tip??), or the fibreglass one for a bit more.

Clearly I have no idea, do I get one of these or do I look at a 2nd hand one of another brand (GME?)?

Cheers
Derm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:01

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:01
Hi Derm,

I bought a Uniden for the 1st time (always had GME's Had aTX4000 for nearly 20 years). The reason I swapped was no GME had a speaker in the mic. Had no trouble except for the connection on the back of the unit. I broke it (my fault) so a dab of super glue had to fix it.

Other then that its been fine.

Prob would buy it again but would buy a GME over it if they had a speaker mic option.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 489475

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 20:44

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 20:44
I'd also go for a GME AE4018k aerial.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 764728

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:38
Either will do. Sounds like you are similar to us. Just something to chat over and to call for help if needed. So my advice is "go simple".

However if you get the stainless antenna then mount it on the guard next to the bonnet. The right hand side is less likely to be broken. The stainless is susceptible to the vibration set up on the bull bar and can snap. The stainless one can be mounted on the bullbar as well but add a spring mount to eliminate the risk of breaking from the vibrations.

The fibre glass one will be fine anywhere.
AnswerID: 489477

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 20:35
Derm,

The Uniden should be okay, though I'm a fan of GME. Have seen the Uni's last as long as GME, though their clarity is maybe not quite as good as GME. Maybe I'm being anal?

Would suggest any fibreglass aerial, 4.5 dB or better. Steer away from Stainless, because it's not a matter of if they'll break, but when! The f'glass are quite robust, and can cop a bit of a hammering. Prestige, in Perth have good deals, and package buys as well.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489487

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 23:53

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 23:53
Have you thought of or looked at an ICOM.
AnswerID: 489498

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 14:29

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 14:29
We have the uniden and we had the stainless aerial, that snapped off on the first dirt road we went down, un did the grub screw and remounted it and it broke again, that time it was on the mudguard, go for the fibre glass with a spring mount, you won't go wrong.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489525

Reply By: Dermottj - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 15:28

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 15:28
Thanks for the responses but I guess I need to ask the question, should I buy a hand held (5 watt) instead of the car mount one?? The reason I ask is that at least at this point I don't think I'll be too far off the beaten track (although would like to try the Oodnadatta with another friend, who is buying a handheld).

Do I need the in car model, can I safely get away with the handheld??
AnswerID: 489959

Sponsored Links