Early Stages of Planning

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 16:59
ThreadID: 96508 Views:1547 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon All

My hubby and I made the big decision to take a year off work and travel round Australia in our Defender and campertrailer. It will probably take us a few years to save enough to be able to do this, so in the mean time, there's time for lots of research and planning.

I have read lots of threads on this site about this subject, but I was wondering if there was a book or reference source that dealth with all the fiddly bits you need to know (what to do with the house, mail, which way to go, when to go etc etc). I have lots of questions, so I thought, well............maybe there's a book on the subject.

Any help or guidance in this direction would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jeannie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:44

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:44
G'day Jeannie,

We hit the road for a couple of years & like you had plenty of preparation time. I made a few folders sorted into states & areas (east, west, north, south, central).
These contained interesting places I had read about in magazines over the years prior to the trip. I would remove or copy info about places that appealled to me even if it was just a brief paragraph. When I arrived in the vicinity I would ask locals as to the whereabouts of a particular spot if the route was difficult to follow. We found some awesome spots on the trip that were off the popular tourist routes.
Of course there are many books you can purchase but who wants to have to carry a library.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 489473

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:50

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:50
Should have read your post a little more carefully.

In regards to our house, we sold it! It was paid off so put the money in the bank for new purchase when we finished the trip. Put all our belongings into long term storage which was cheaper than the self access storage.
As for the mail we redirected to a relative & got it sent in blocks to a post office near where we were at the time.
Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 764645

Follow Up By: Member - Magic (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 07:34

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 07:34
Hi Stu

Thanks for the info about the folders, you sound like a man after my own heart, as I've done exactly the same thing and am collecting bits and pieces whenever something catches my eye.

Yes, it was more information regarding the preparation before you leave that i was after. I don't know if I could be as brave as you and sell up, but it's worth thinking about.

Cheers

Jeannie
FollowupID: 764682

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 20:00

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 20:00
Jeannie,

If you haven't already, check out Mothernen's website, she's a member on this site. There is LOTS of info there for travellers, so it may be of some assitance to you.

Enjoy the planning, and the trip,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489484

Follow Up By: Member - Magic (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 07:35

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 07:35
Hi Bob

Wow, thanks for that. I have, of course, read alot by Motherhen on this site, but hadn't checked out the website.

Wonderful resource.

Thanks so much.

Cheers

Jeannie
FollowupID: 764683

Sponsored Links