Wilcannia to Menindee to broken hill

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:20
ThreadID: 96525 Views:2336 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me what the road is like from wilcannia to Menindee is it suitable for a normal on road pop top caravan? And likewise the road from Menindee to broken hill

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:06

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:06
Hi folks,

If it's wet when you're going to be travelling, I'd certainly give it a miss.

Haven't been there for quite a while, so can't discuss current road conditions, but I know of a couple of vehicles with vans that were stuck for quite a while a few years ago, when they strayed only slightly off the centre of the heavily cambered road and slid into the side drain. Mate (property manager) had to kill a sheep to keep them going when they ran out of tucker.

That country can be unforgiving, if you don't have your wits about you!

Regards,

Charlie
AnswerID: 489520

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:36

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:36
Hi folks,

I wasn't too clear with my above reply - I was talking about the Wilcannia to Menindee stretch.Menindee to Broken Hill has been bitumen-sealed for years.

Wilcannia to Menindee was usually a pretty good dirt road, unless it got wet.

We left the station my friend was managing the same day as the above incident, on his advice ("If it starts to rain, chuck everything in the 'Cruiser and get to the bitumen as soon as you can!"). The other people were entering the Wilcannia road from the bitumen at the Menindee end, just as we were getting to the same T-junction.

We didn't think the road was too bad, but I drove with the hubs locked in, H4 selected and a pretty light foot, I can tell you.

In fairness to the blokes who got stuck though, they would have had another half hour or so more of pretty heavy rain than we did by the time things went pear-shaped for them.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 764704

Follow Up By: Member - David and Anne Bell - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:39

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:39
Thanks charlieb2
FollowupID: 764705

Reply By: pmacks - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:07

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:07
Hi Davis & Anne

no problem at all i wouldn't think? we did this trip about 12 months ago and the dirt road from Wilcannia to menindee was very good and menindee to Broken hill is bituman so no problems.
The only thing is as with all dirt roads they can change a lot in a short space of time depending on current conditions, also peoples opinions of what is good and what is bad can also be different.

Peter
AnswerID: 489521

Follow Up By: Member - David and Anne Bell - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:40
Thanks peter the info given by oth replies thus far is very useful. Just a question were you towing a van?
FollowupID: 764706

Follow Up By: pmacks - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 13:51
Yes mate

we have a jayco freedom off road van but others in our group had camper trailers and one other even had an on road olympic like the one in your profile pic its a good road and a very nice trip

Peter...
FollowupID: 764707

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:27

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:27
Make sure you go on the WEST side of the river.LOL
I did the east side and it was very rough with grids every couple of Ks.
Also Menindee is a quarantine area so you have to get rid of fruit and veg if you are law abiding, and on the east side there are no bins. I don't know about the west. I ended up putting my fruit into the pub's rubbish bin.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 489536

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 17:43

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 17:43
I have been from Bourke to Menindee several times with an ordinary van and the road conditions varied.
The West side from Wilcannia is best and if dry you will have no trouble and as said the Menindee to B/Hill is sealed and in good condition.
Just reduce tyre pressures on the unsealed roads travel at a reduced speed and all should be ok.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489542

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:57

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:57
The east side is closed anyway.
FollowupID: 764869

Sponsored Links