Tablelands Road/Track

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:23
ThreadID: 96529 Views:3855 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi digital mappers/travellers - I was surprised that I couldn't find any User Treks for the Tablelands Road in the database. If anyone has a file with this section in it, please upload it and let me know what you've called it so I can find it and extract the bits I need to draw the RC map. Thanks!
Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:35

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:35
Hello Michelle

How accurate does it have to be? The track is shown on the 50K Kimberley maps. If you are extremely desperate and no one comes up with a gps track I can digitise it reasonably accurately in ~20 minutes or so. If you just need the track to make a map I figure this would be OK.

Let me know and I'll schedule it in :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489514

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:36

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:36
PS - Whats an "RC map"?
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764698

Reply By: ExplorOz - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:47

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:47
Thanks Greg, "RC = road conditions", sorry to be cryptic! I've had my head stuck in to the system for the last few weeks - slowly adding data to map each road in the report - ARHG! a MAMMOTH task that some days has me swearing $%&*@! but slowly I think I'm winning :)

I can also cheat the system if there is no recorded track file IF the start/end points for my chosen route are mappable by Google but alas, not so for the Tablelands Track :( so YES PLEASE, if you would be so kind as to create me a digitised version that would be perfectly fine. Just as accurate as you can reasonably manage. Thank YOU :)

Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 489516

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 20:15

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 20:15
Hi Michelle.

I haven't travelled that track for many years but I expect Mt House to Tablelands is reasonable. However, lots of people referring to the TT mean a continuation via Teronis Gorge and eastwards. Teronis has been improbable/impassable for years, altho some intrepid types are good enough to get through.

There was piece about it in a Western 4WD mag a few issues ago. Sounded like tiger country suitable for only the most experienced and well equipped. It's on my list but only with a few other vehicles with winches.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 489555

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:45

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:45
Hi John

The track Michelle wanted was from Mornington Road intersection to Tableland (Yulumba) and then the less travelled route onto to Bedford Downs. Not this entire route is officially Tablelands Road (or Track) and there is a couple of options when heading east onto Bedford Downs. The Hema Kimberley map shows two tracks one of which is labelled “impassable access limited” (see pic below). The Hema map does however show the northern track option as passable (as they appear to have driven it - not sure of date <2006?). Not sure which way others have gone in recent times.

The Hema map also states that “The Tablelands Track between Yulumba (Tableland) and Bedford Downs as closed until further notice”..though this was published years ago so not sure if the information is still current (obviously not if it have been travelled recently).

I digitised in the northern route for Michelle from the 50K topo maps. You can also see most of the track in Google Earth (which obviously doesn’t mean it can be “driven”).

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764749

Reply By: ExplorOz - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:03

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:03
Thanks to Greg for "creating" the track file - I've now upload this to User Treks and it forms the basis of the track line that you can now see in the road condition reports. It is definately never going to be a route open to "the public" but some applicants may be successful in coordinating a trip with significant prior discussions with the leaseholders. BTW - John B... did you get any photos you could share from your previous trip? Or did I misunderstand.
Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 489592

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 17:30

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 17:30
Hi Greg and Michelle,

John headed bush this morning and may be away for quite a while. He can access email but may have difficulty downloading large files and may not see this post for some time.

BTW I did the Tablelands track in the mid 1990s. Whilst it was difficult there was wheel pad here and there and except for Terronis was relatively easily traversed, my photos are sadly are poor quality paper style.
I used the Moon's Kimberley book the my guide.

regards

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764766

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 19:16

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 19:16
Hi Greg and Michelle,
Like Phil, I travelled it in the early 2000's, following the Ron Moon guide. Not sure if I have a Ozi track file now, but will do a search. The track was pretty easy from the Mornington turnoff to Tableland station, but was faint and a bit tricky to find just east of the station, thereafter fairly easy to follow. The descent into Teronis Gorge was a bit hairy, with several rocky creek crossings over a short distance down in the gorge. Further east, there was a sticky wet patch crossing thru the pass thru the Durack Range. Thereafter, pretty easy.
I believe access was closed off later in the 2000s, but not sure what its status is now.
Great trip!
cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 764819

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 19:40

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 19:40
Hi Greg, thanks for that. Am just back from our trip.

Sorry Michelle, I didn't take many pics in those days; film and processing too pricey...

Cheers.

FollowupID: 767442

Sponsored Links