Camper Electrical Setup

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:02
ThreadID: 96542 Views:2041 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites, I’ve been out of the loop for a while so need some advice on camper electrical setup. My basic setup is as follows. Have typical dual battery setup under the bonnet with Redarc 100amp isolator. Have new camper with 6b&s cable to 2 / 100ahr AGM’s from plug. In car have 6b&s cable back to Anderson plug at rear of car. Don’t have a DC Charger in camper at present – will get Redarc type probably. Generally don’t use car fridge when towing camper. Questions:

Should cable to rear plug in car go from Aux Battery, or from Starter Battery with another isolator? I seem to remember in the past people warning against dragging too much current through the car Aux Battery.

Old car Aux Battery is stuffed. Any suggestions for a new one? I don’t want AGM there (next to turbo). I used Exide ED5’s in the past – but these pretty dated batteries. There must be better available now.

[I’m avoiding searches because there are so many threads (some average, some dated) and I’m interested in current approaches / recommendations].

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:59

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:59
Hi JD,

"Current approaches" - now that's pretty punny! :-)

Sorry - just couldn't help myself.

That aside, I wouldn't write off the under-bonnet placement just yet.

Yeah I know that the general wisdom is that you don't put AGM's under the bonnet, but you might like to talk to the guys at "Home of 12 volt".

No connection to the company, but unless I've got it wrong, they're still providing a pretty good warranty for their Redbacks for under-bonnet applications.

Regards,

Charlie
AnswerID: 489594

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 14:59

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 14:59
The best and recommended place to take off power to the camper is the AUX battery which should have a dual battery isolator between it and the satrter battery so as to not drain the starter battery. This could be just a 100 amp solenoid controlled by the IGN if cost is a consideration.

There is no need for another isolator between the Aux Battery and the rear Anderson plug. Unless you want one there for some reason. I can't think of one myself.

Connect in an Auto fuse of at least 50 amps near the Aux battery on the 6 B&S and have another one just before the battery in the camper if you like.

Best to be safe than sorry.

Otherwise your system sounds OK.

Know what you mean about searches. Sometimes it takes hours to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489604

Reply By: white pointer - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 19:52

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 19:52
we decided on a 90ah sealed calcium battery for the aux.18 mths ago and have had no probs.they seem to handle the heat well.
AnswerID: 489628

Reply By: sweetnam - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 07:45

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 07:45
Hi JD

I run an AGM under the bonnet in my GU

http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=146

I checked with the above and he has given me a 2yr warranty knowing it is going into the GU next to the turbo.

I draw from the Aux battery to the anderson at the back of the truck. I have also used 6BS all the way through.

I have a small jayco that has a 240charger wired in and I use a 6m extension when unhitched from the drawbar anderson to the GU anderson so the 240 charger charges both when I am in a civilised campsite with power.

I haven't bothered with a second isolator as when I unhitch the trailer, I disconnect the anderson.

All the best
AnswerID: 489650

Sponsored Links