SA to WA newman

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07
ThreadID: 96543 Views:2187 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, this is my first post haven''t travel much but need some info traveling to Newman from sa, wondering what other travellers think on my plans,once i arrive at Norseman then Kalgoorlie, im a bit lost from there, thinking of going through leinster to wiluna dirt road to meetha then up to newman or leinster through sandstone [dirt] mt magnet then to newman, have a 4x4 just wife and thinking of tenting it, is this safe, what your thoughts accommodation etc going to see son and family have about 4-5 weeks thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16
Hi lucabair
The section from Leinster to Mt Magnet through Sandstone is black top, has been for years.
The alternative of Wiluna to Meeka is dirt. Its black top from Leinster to Wiluna.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489587

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 00:34

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 00:34
Since 1999 to be exact
FollowupID: 764788

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 03:17

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 03:17
Thanks get outmore

Since 1999 - thats a long way back.

Whats puzzling is the number of times I see people asking if this bit in particular is still dirt.
There must be some outdated maps out there still being flogged.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764789

Reply By: graham B9 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:25

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:25
Hi Guys,

If you have not done a great deal of travelling or camping grab a copy of Camps Australia Wide 6 Snaps. It has pictures of thousands offree camping sites, their locations and accurate descriptions. It will save you hundred of dollars and pay for itself in no time. Get the snaps one as the pictures are very helpful.

Camping there is very safe as well. We make a rule not to camp within 5 kilometers of town and not stay where there are beer bottles / cans or burnout donuts.

Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 489588

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 22:31

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 22:31
Agree with this apart from from the distance from towns.

I prefer to be much further out mainly to reduce the possibility of wild dogs disturbing the night and/or your camp.

Spotted a lot of few wild dogs around places like Wiluna.
FollowupID: 764783

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:34

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:34
G'day lucabair

As Phil.B says the road systems have changed for the better and have been so for some years now.
Regarding your choice of camping options, tenting is about the best, simply because you can camp up well off the main road and if you can keep your camp low profile ~ no big fires and noise, you can stay camped for as long as you like, depending on your set up of course.
You can camp quite safely anywhere you feel comfortable with, there are plenty of travellers out and about right now.
Hopefully your family can accommodate you while you are in Newman, because accommodation in general is fairly limited, even the supposed caravan parks are slowly becoming all out accommodation villages for the mining sector.

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 489589

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:41

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:41
Hi Lucabair

If taking the advice to go via Sandstone, stop a while. This lovely tiny town was the surprise of a trip which took us through the Kimberley and Central Australia. It is lovely. Normally bush campers by style, we stopped for one night at this small Shire CP, and stayed three. It is bitumen all the way and to me would be better than going via Wiluna.

As said, quite safe to bush camp and out there you will find plenty of places to get off the road. Keep food and shoes inside in case dingoes take a fancy to what you have left out.

Enjoy the trip.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489639

Reply By: jacent - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 23:40

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 23:40
Hey mate, I would go kalgoorlie to Leinster, 370 km, camp either in the cheap caravan park there or just off the road and free camp it, Leinster to wiluna is sealed, don't camp near or around wiluna it is a dodgy place!around 170km then from wiluna is a short cut road called neds creek road which is a couple hundred km unsealed but was pretty good condition last time I drove it. I was sittin on 100km/hr .That takes you out to the highway with Capricorn road house further north. Saves you arounf 200 km off your trip and by passes meeka which isnt anything exciting, Lots of wildflowers on that unsealed road
You can do Leinster to Newman in one day if you want, we did Leinster to Tom price no worries
AnswerID: 489721

Sponsored Links