Anniversary of death of Tom Kruse

Submitted: Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 13:24
ThreadID: 96570 Views:1756 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the death of E.S.(Tom) Kruse M.B.E. - Birdsville Mailman.

He was a man to whom the term Outback Legend truly could be applied.

Very appropriately we were in Birdsville at the time and remember the flag at half mast, with toasts and DVDs playing in the pub.

The books "Mailman of the Birdsville Track" and "Thirty Years with Men" together with the DVD " Back of Beyond" are well worth experiencing.

Cheers, Graham.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 16:45

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 16:45
G'day Graham, sadly a man who is irreplaceable today moved on & can you imagine the memories in his mind he took with him! - no one in the current generation could handle the obstacle's he encountered regularly on each trip. (check out the movie "back of beyond" where he played himself in that film produced by Shell oil co.) I was fortunate enough to have a chat with him at the unveiling of his bust in 2008 at Birdsville, also he signed my copy of "back of beyond" I was privileged to meet him.

Image Could Not Be Found
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489687

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 18:01

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 18:01
G'day Graham

This post of yours testifies as to how quickly time and life seems to pass us by.

I met Mr Kruse way back in the early 1970's at Dings ~ Shell service station in Yunta in South Australia.

I remember his very firm blokie hand shake as we parted company after talking about a rather un-blokie thing ~ wildflowers !!

Thank you for the reminder.

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 489691

Follow Up By: P and JM - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 19:28

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 19:28
Hi Joe,

Now you are bringing back some memories, Tom would have been at Yunta possibly visiting Harry Ding's son George and family at their Shell Roadhouse.
Harry Ding contracted the Marree to Birdsville run to Tom Kruse in 1936.

I worked on Stations in both Yunta and Marree areas and used to hear some remarkable stories of them.

Here is the link for those who wish to know more on these Great Men.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/ding-henry-edgar-harry-10019
FollowupID: 764820

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:33

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:33
Yep !! What a fantastic life! He probably didn't think it was that great at the time. He was just trying to earn a living!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489709

Reply By: donk - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:10

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:10
After reading the book about him you have to admire Tom and the other blokes who used to run freight to the bush

Regards Don
AnswerID: 489759

Sponsored Links