Jerry can/gas holders-weld or bolt

Submitted: Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 18:12
ThreadID: 96582 Views:4268 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have had vans with 9 kg gas bottle holders welded and bolted. Anyone know the Aust standard / rules for attaching these items. How many are allowed on the A frame? Other problems?.W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:48

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:48
Warrie,

Don't know about any legalities(ADR's etc) with welding vs bolted on applications.

Do know, from experience, that if something is welded, and perhaps not done in a workmanlike manner, that vibrations can cause the whole weld to fail. Even the use of incorrect welding rods on some steels will fail. Object falls off, and is destroyed by 'van etc, or it hangs down, and does heaps of damage to 'van, and anything within contact distance. Not to mention safety dramas if it's a 9kg cylinder bouncing around.

If something is bolted on, it costs more, drilling holes etc, but if there's any stress, it usually becomes obvious with loose, or broken bolts, indicating a potential drama. My late dad, who was a boilermaker, told me the reasons for bolting,vs welding, but like a lot of things he said, I didn't listen!!!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489740

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:57

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:57
Thanks Bob. I have had a bit of a read of past threads but not yet found a definitive answer. To be more specific I want to put 4 jerries of petrol on the front of a camper trailer next to the 9 kg gas cylinder. There is a strong rectangular frame bolted across the A frame. By relocating the spare tyre it gives room for the jerry cans. ......W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764870

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 12:02

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 12:02
That frame sounds the go, Warrie.

Something I neglected to mention before was that if it's bolted on to chassis, there's a certain amount of flex, whereas welding doesn't always allow any flex, or movement.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 764871

Follow Up By: Erad - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:36

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:36
Any welding will cause some residual stress as the weld cools. In most cases, this is not a problem because the level of stress in the component is nowhere near the yield point, but you never can tell. The weld also can cans some stress concentration eg with a bit of undercut. End result is that there is a minor increased loading on the drawbar. It should be OK, but to be sure, I would go for a bolted bracket and that way the only extra loading on the drawbar will be from the weight of the jerry can, which you will have even with a wekled beacket.

Also, a lot of drawbars are fully galvanised these days and welding stuffs up the galv. Go the bolted bracket.
FollowupID: 764888

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:27

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:27
Thats an extra 90kg on your drawbar...Sure you want that?
FollowupID: 764895

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 21:03

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 21:03
Hi Bigfish, I am removing a 22kg tyre on a rim and the two full 4.5kg bottles and their frame which is another 24.5kg which gives me minus 46.5 kg. Now I add the 8.5 kg bottle and frame plus full gas to get 18.5 kg. Then 4 jerry holder frames = 12 kg, 4 plastic jerries =8 kg and full of fuel = 56 kg to give a total of 76 kg to give me plus 94.5 kg. End result is a gain of only 48 kg. And I don' t really want even that but if we are going to go into the desert then we have to carry fuel. 80 litres will only get me 320 km so it will be gone in 2 days. Well, that's the plan anyway..............W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764930

Sponsored Links