V8 landcruiser on LPG

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:37
ThreadID: 9659 Views:4238 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experience or information on how sucessful and reliable an LPG conversion is on the landcruiser 4.7L V8 in the 100 series.
Any and all info welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andi - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:21

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:21
Not any comments for a 100 series but my 62 has gas and if I had the $$$$ I would rip it out tomorrow, reco the motor and put the girl back to full petrol. I get approx 22l per 100 on gas but about 17l per 100 on petrol (around town for both). so i get about 265k's per tank. The gas is cheaper at the bowser but thats where the savings stop. I am sure after all this time the motor is suffering for it. Massive loss of power too and as I tow a tradesmans trailer everyday you have to really watch those breaks in traffic when you take off. The V8 will obviously not suffer as much from this.
However, where will you put the tank?. Mine came with the original petrol tank chopped and dropped so the gas sits up underneath, very expensive for previous owner.
The gas is useless once you get off the bitumin as no little country stops really stock it.
But the best reason I heard for not putting it on a modern car is that manufacturers spend millions of dollars (Yen etc) on perfecting their engines to the best they can get out of them and we go and by pass all that with a $2000-$3000 after market bolt on kit which kills their engines.

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but as the old rumour of tarriff changes being introduced soon to make gas equal to petrol, rearing their head again, why not just keep the cruiser the way it is and shell out a few more dollars at the pump only.
AnswerID: 42566

Reply By: nickoff - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 13:24

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 13:24
I have a 94 Hilux 2 x 4 which I converted to LPG in 98. Still have original ULP tank in vehicle which I use as the reserve. 63L LPG gets me 400km (15.75l per 100Km)
and I get 10.75l per 100Km on ULP. I was advised before the refit that there would be a drop in power output, (about 15-20%) and a higher burn rate of LPG but that has made up for itself over the 5 years that I have used LPG in the reduced amount of $$ at the bowser. After paying for the conversion ($1869.00 in 98 dollar) I am now about $2500.00 ahead in savings using LPG after paying off the conversion. I do about 650km a forntnight, 400 on LPG and balance on ULP. The other benifits I gained was the extended range that dual fuel tanks give me, (about 950 km range), & only having to fill one a fortnight, after payday. Only other added expense is the requirement for a gas inspection certificate ($25.00) at vehicle rego time. I am happy the burning LPG and if my next vehicle in a petrol, would consider doing it again.

Nick.

AnswerID: 42580

Reply By: bozo - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:37

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:37
Love my Lpg, not a huge difference in power on my GQ(didn't have a lot to start with) and don't have that much trouble finding it in the country areas. Patrol uses a little more than petrol but at 35.5 in Brisbane today still works out cheap. The government is going to put tax on it but it doesnt start until 2008 and then it is in increments not the full 8 cents or so a litre straight up.
AnswerID: 42700

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)