Should we take a bote

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 08:20
ThreadID: 96610 Views:2421 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The Board of Control & I along with another couple are heading for Carnarvon W.A from Queensland in August.The 'main'reason for the trip is to view 'wildflowers'however this activity won't take all of our time (?).We will have at least 10 weeks in W.A. & will be heading South from Carnarvon ending up around Esperance.We have a Porta Bote with a 5hp motor.The question we are wrestling with is whether we should take the bote.We only use it in rivers,lakes,creeks etc..no salt water adventures.I have read many posts on W.A. travels but have seen little if any that includes this type of activity.
Ladies,Gentlemen & significant others..your thoughts would be appreciated.
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:33

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:33
Batsy,

Unless your travelling companions are also planning to take a boat, I would leave it at home.
Even if 4 could fit in the porta bote, the 5HP motor is not powerful enough.

If you see an interesting expanse of water you all wish to investigate, I'm sure there would be charter options available.

Of course, if you and your mate are into some serious fishing and the girls don't mind a bit of time to chill out, that's a different story altogether:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489831

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:43

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:43
Batsy
If you intend going into croc country up north then don't bother with it. A kranky salty can make a mess of an average size tinny, one can only imagine what he could do with your bote?

If not, then they don't take up too much space and allow you to do a bit more than waters edge fishing. You as the owner know full well the limits of such a water craft.

It's beautiful here in WA at the moment, little or no rain and lots of sunshine.
Cheers, Colin.
AnswerID: 489833

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:09

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:09
"South of Carnarvon"......no crocs there.
FollowupID: 764960

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:17

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:17
Water's edge fishing is nearly non existent in the Top End due to the crocs and the steep sided creeks and rivers. Charters are not thick on the ground - only in the big centres.

The beaches and rock platforms on the coast are the only ones you will easily access. Good salmon fishing up and down the WA coast and over into SA.

The bote (boat?) will be useful when you get lower down. They store fairly easily and your biggest worry will be the motor and the accessories. Solve that problem and you're laughing.

I am taking an inflatable next time I go.

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489837

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 22:16

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 22:16
"Water's edge fishing is nearly non existent in the Top End due to the crocs"
Sorry Bill, but I have lived in the Top End for over 20 years and any day of the week you can find dozens of people fishing at the waters edge. Have a look at the link which contains many pictures taken at Shady camp, (regarded to have the world's highest density of saltwater crocodiles." and it shows many people fishing IN the water. Around darwin, daly river, katherine river always people fishing from the banks.

http://tools.ntnews.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=1065&offset=0

Tony.
FollowupID: 765043

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:30

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:30
YES, pack it up and bring it with you, there are lots of places you can use it BUT the best place will be Exmouth where the fishing is always great......you will love it. You will kick yourself if you don't, depending on the weather, there will lots of fishing opportunities all the way around the coast, lots of sheltered bays etc.

AnswerID: 489843

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:41

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:41
plenty of places to fish down south - Peel inlet at Mandurah, Denmark, Walpole, Albany - wish I'd had my porta bote when I was there
AnswerID: 489844

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:47

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:47
Hi Batsy,

It really depends on how much fresh water fishing you want to do. Bear in mind that the coast tends to be windy, and as you go south there could be more overcast damp days that may not be so good for boating.

If you are really keen on the wildflowers then yes, finding, admiring and photographing them could take most of your 10 weeks trip. We are planning a similar trip, and based on our experiences last time (see our blogs) we will not be taking our inflatable boat - but then we are not much into fishing either.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489845

Reply By: Gotlost - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 12:15

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 12:15
if u come to Exmouth and bring ur Bote just be aware that the winds here are fairly blowin, August September October are the worst months for screaming South Easters, at the moment the wind is up and about, dont think a Bote would be ideal.
AnswerID: 489851

Reply By: Member - batsy - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 08:04

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 08:04
Thank you one & all for your thoughts..much appreciated.My feeling is that we will take the bote .. it is light & little trouble to carry & it is there if there is an opportunity to utilise it.Looking forward to a great time in W.A.
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

AnswerID: 489936

Sponsored Links