Simpson crossing

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:02
ThreadID: 96611 Views:1805 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Thought I would post on here on the slim chance that there may be another couple/group looking to cross the Simpson in a couple of days that are looking for company?!

We have been planning our crossing fir 6 months, unfortunately the family we were crossing with have had to return to Melbourne yesterday due to family business issues. Thus has left us stranded in Ularu wondering what to do next!

We are well prepared and are taking an Ultimate, thought I would try to see on the slim chance our plans can be salvaged, I know the variables are wide so am happy to talk to individuals that are peeped to do the trip but may be in same position.

We can leave any day from next Tues to Thurs going west to East.

If not we have plan b & c :)

If interested please reply or call me on 0411-175575

David

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 12:03

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 12:03
Tuff luck David losing your travel companions so close to the crossing. Suggest heading into Dalhousie & propping there for a couple of days. If you are well set up I'd suggest you may be able to convince another group to let you tag on from there. If not possibly loop around the Oodnadatta track then back up to Birdsville camping out at Eyre Creek & do a day run out to Poeppels Corner from there without the trailer.
I know of 2 other individuals looking for another vehicle to do a crossing with later in the year in a similar situation to you. All in the timing.
Good luck.
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 489850

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 12:49

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 12:49
Hi David,

The Simpson is a great adventure but not particularly hazardous, so don't be afraid of crossing solo. However the DENR strongly discourage trailers in the Simpson and you may require assistance over some dunes if not well experienced.
At this time there are plenty of other travellers so you would not be entirely alone. You would be unlikely to go an hour without seeing someone but if you have concern about personal safety, a satphone can be hired at Mount Dare and dropped off at Birdsville.

Craig's suggestion of picking up a companion at Dalhousie is good. Possible also at Mt Dare. We had a family ask if they could travel with us at Mt Dare last October when there were few crossing. They were great company.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489857

Reply By: David16 - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:26

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:26
Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I rang a mate this morning who I thought has started his Simpson track East/West today, they in fact are not leaving until next Sunday and kindly invited us to join them! We are leaving Ularu tomorrow and heading to Birdville to do the crossing with them and 3 others.

Funny how things turn out :)

David
AnswerID: 489879

Reply By: David16 - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:28

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:28
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Double-up Post Removed Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 489880

Reply By: David16 - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:29

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:29
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Double-up Post Removed Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 489881

Sponsored Links