Caravan battery charging

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 14:21
ThreadID: 96617 Views:1956 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What I'm trying to achieve is hopefully fairly simple.

I want to wire the van up so I can charge the battery by either solar or off the car using one anderson plug on the drawbar.

Solar regulater and VSR mounted next to battery in van. Can both these units be fed from the same feed in a parellel set up or do I need to have a switch in order to direct the incomming voltage to either the VSR or solar regulator.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rooster350 - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 11:50

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 11:50
It is very simple...it has to be because we do it, plug the solar and regulator (regulator is on front of van in a temporary position) in when stopped and camping , then hook it up to the car when moving. We have a system from the car set up by a auto electrician so that it only charges when the car is running and when the car battery is fully charged...it works quite well...cheers
AnswerID: 489944

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 16:16

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 16:16
Hi Mogul

No it can't be done with all regulator types.

Many regulators control charge by shorting out the panel and these perhaps 90% of regulators on the market can't accept 90 or 100 amps from your alternator.

Regulators and isolators also require sense voltages and if these 2 devices are on the same circuit one would block the other.

I recommend you have 2 circuits and also note that VSRs work better mounted close to the alternator.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 489962

Sponsored Links