Border Track

We are planning to do the Border Track, starting at Nhill around Sep 9. We realise that it may still be a bit wet at that time and are wandering if there are any restrictions into the parks at that time of year, any tips greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:20

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:20
I think only summer restrictions , but at the southern end there are large bog holes to look out for , that end is low and will be a challenge if wet !!! , northern end is sandy and is one way - north to south - very narrow to get off , great drive & have fun ...
plenty on it if do a search

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489990

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:07

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:07
Hi all,

Sure there may be closures in summer when virtually ALL SA National Parks and Conservation Parks are closed because of the fire danger.

However, you might also find that the track will be closed if there's a lot of water in "the swales" in Ngarkat Conservation Park.

SAAFWDC has done a lot of work on the Border Track through Ngarkat over the years, in conjunction with SA's Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources and, while it recognises that it isn't "its" track, there will be a heap of VERY angry people on both sides of officialdom, if someone chooses to overlook those closures and chops that part of the track up like it used to be a while ago.

Why not get the good guff straight from the horse's mouth and check it all out with DEWNR - and look at the following. It's not a link, so copy and paste into your web browser.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Find_a_park/Browse_by_region/Murray_River/Ngarkat_Conservation_Park

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 765212

Follow Up By: Trike - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:23

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:23
Thanks for the advice, we will check with the people in charge before we go. thanks again
FollowupID: 765241

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 16:31

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 16:31
BT is closed from Nov 1 - March 31, but other tracks in the area remain open unless fire poses too much of a threat.

From what I've read, Parks ask to avoid the BT after heavy rainfalls, but as far as I am aware they don't usually close it.

Might be an idea to call them to check for your trip, from Charlies link ph 8576 3690 or 0408 802 874 . . . then if there's been rain in the Mallee, maybe call a day or two before departure to be sure.

Suppose you are aware the BT is one way from Scorpion Springs (northern park boundary) to Mt Shaugh track, only travel north to south on this section.
A great option, which you may have already planned, is to go up the Murrayville Track to the Mallee Hwy blacktop, follow that towards Pinnaroo (or you can take a parallel dirt road across to the BT), and come south from the bitumen about 5k's short of Pinnaroo, dirt road named Border Road, which deteriorates after 10 or 15 ks to become the BT.
AnswerID: 490049

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 16:35

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 16:35
Oh, and if leaving the BT to get out to the Bordertown road back to Nhill, leave at Pine Hill North Road, DON'T go further south (although you can exit a fair way down out to Telopea Rd) . . . unless you don't mind going very slow, and getting some nice pinstriping on your 4b.

The Vic Deserts Touring map marks that as 'Very narrow section of track' for good reason.
FollowupID: 765229

Follow Up By: Trike - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:24

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:24
Thanks for the phone numbers ,will check before we go, thanks again.
FollowupID: 765242

Sponsored Links