12 volt water pump

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:14
ThreadID: 96654 Views:8715 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All I am after some sort of 12 volt water pump that I can use to transfer water from jerry cans I have looked at a 12 volt shower but they wont fit in the jerry can opening I have also looked at Tanami pumps but will only consider one of these as a last resort as I think they are to much hassle with having to set up your compressor i want something that I can just plug into a cigarette socket and drop a hose in the jerry can I am wondering if a windscreen washer pump would pump enough water but would like to hear from someone who has already solved the problem if possible thanks.

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:28

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:28
Hi Andrew,

I'd probably forget about the windscreen washer pump - it'd more than likely burn out before you got a jerry-can half-empty.

I haven't used one myself, but why not talk to Whitworths or another marine outlet about a marine bilge pump.

They're not terribly expensive, don't think they have to be submerged to work, just a hose into the jerry, I'd reckon, and a lot of folk on this site use them rather than "el cheapo" shower pumps with good results - and YOU can choose how much water you want to move and how quickly.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know in no uncertain terms! :-)

Regards,

Charlie
AnswerID: 490040

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:48

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:48
I reckon Charlie is on the money.
Plenty of choice with low pressure, (relatively) high volume bilge pumps at a chandlers - eg Whitworths. Just make sure that the rated amps are below the fuse for a cig lighter.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 765216

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 15:01

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 15:01
I use a small pressure pump like they use in caravans and camper trailers. Get it wired up to a cig lighter plug and attach suitable sized piping and Bob's your aunty. I use mine with an old el-cheepo shower hose and spray as a shower and for water transfer I just unscrew the shower head.

Bought a new one the other day to fit to my water tank in the car cost $59.95 from BCF.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 765222

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:35

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:35
Andrew,

Suggest try searching on ebay for "12v water pump" . The search finds over 600 options! Another good source of such gear is the chandlers shops (boats and stuff). I think the windscreen washer pumps, and the drop-in-a-bucket shower pumps would be too small to be much use. A lot will depend on how fast you want to pump, at what pressure (height), and of course, how much you are willing to pay.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490041

Follow Up By: Swaggy1963 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 14:10
Hi John I have already scoured ebay its usually the first place I look when I am after something and only come to a forum like this when I am out of ideas and know how many pumps they have there heaps of 12 volt pressure pumps I have a 38 mm diameter opening on my jerry cans so I need a submersible that is smaller than 38mm diameter or I need a pump that doesnt need to be submersed and can just have a hose inserted into the jerry can and the 12 volt showers would be just fine if they would fit in the jerry can as I had one demonstrated to me in a shop they work on the same principle as any other submersible pump and would be quite adequate for water transferal so dont know where you get the idea they wouldnt be much use.
FollowupID: 765219

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 15:23

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 15:23
Andrew - no offense intended. A lot of people overlook using ebay as a catalogue, hence my suggestion.

Where do I get the idea that shower pumps and windscreen washer pumps wouldn't be much use? They are very low volume pumps and could take a long time to transfer water. Don't know your application, but I assume that to transfer water you'd be looking to empty a jerry can in a few minutes rather than 1/4 hour. That's why I say they would be too small to be much use.

As suggested, you'll find lots of possibly useful pumps in chandlers or on ebay.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765226

Reply By: Member - Mike (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:50

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 13:50
Hi Andrew,

I have this galley pump

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=67259&intAbsolutePage=1

$29.95; which works very well. Totally immersible but musn't run dry. See what you think,

all the best,

Mike
Too little time in the bush!
VKS 737 Mobile 0230

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490042

Follow Up By: Swaggy1963 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 14:02

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 14:02
Thanks for that mike only problem is it is 40.2 mm diameter and my jerry cans have a 38 mm diameter opening.

cheers

Andrew
FollowupID: 765218

Follow Up By: Chorba - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 16:43
Andrew

A bro uses one of these with a length of plastic hose to both ends. They're not self priming so he just turns it on them sucks up some water 'till it reaches the pump to prime it then away it goes. Works for him.

Cheers

Rosco
FollowupID: 765230

Follow Up By: Swaggy1963 - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:45

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:45
Thanks for that Rosco I was wondering about that and I am guessing that with the self priming ones you dont need to do that they are a shade more expensive than this one though but I think I am on the right track now at least there is so many different types of 12 volt water pumps I knew I needed one of them lol but didnt know which one.

cheers
andrew
FollowupID: 765303

Reply By: Swaggy1963 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 14:17

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 14:17
It seems that a Rule submersible inline pump is what I am after 12 volt 2.8 amp, 36 mm diameter so will fit in the jerry the ones i got anyhow and pumps 12.6 liters per minute so more than adequate to for my purpose.
AnswerID: 490043

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:02

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:02
We use a 12V shower (Companion I think) and the pickup fits perfectly into a normal 20l JC of water and we use a security alarm battery to power it as well as our camp fluro

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 490058

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:11

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 18:11
Ditto, plus if your jerries are plastic you can give them a trim , coarse sandpaper works, for a perfect fit if they are a tad too small
FollowupID: 765240

Follow Up By: Swaggy1963 - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:53

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:53
Gday Rob the shower is what I would prefer to go with as it is already set up with the cig plug and a switch and are only around $20 but the one that i looked at a primus was to big for my plastic jerries I have the green plastic pro quip brand I thought they had a 38mm diameter opening but on closer inspection with a vernier they are 36.5 mm diameter I have done a bit of a google and dont seem to be able to find a companion 12 volt shower.

cheers
andrew
FollowupID: 765306

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:07
Hi Andrew,

Don't disregard the Tanami pump altogether mate.
I guess it depends on how much and how often you wish to transfer the water, but I love my Tanami pump for transferring fuel.

You don't necessarily need a compressor either, again depending on the volume you are transferring.
I sometimes use my Tanami pump with a simple bicycle hand pump. You only need a little bit of air pressure. The safety relief valve operates at about 4PSI anyway.

I made up a 3 metre length of air hose with an inline valve (tap) to control the air flow and clip on air chucks to connect to the tyre valves.
On my previous vehicle I used the spare tyre mounted on the back and could empty two 20 litre jerries easily.

Now, alas, I don't have the spare in an accessible place and just use the bicyle hand pump to transfer the fuel from jerries mounted on the front of my camper.
I also have a 10 litre air tank which can be pressurized to 100psi but it is a little too bulky for regular camping exercises.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490065

Follow Up By: Swaggy1963 - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:37

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:37
Gday Bill thanks for your info I had already heard of running the pump from a spare tyre but I would prefer to go with an electric pump as I have a cig socket close to where my jerries are stored I have 12 of them and one outside the trailer with a tap on and I will only be transferring water if i was going to be doing petrol i would definately go with the tanami.

thanks
Andrew
FollowupID: 765301

Reply By: Swaggy1963 - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 12:00

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 12:00
Thank you all for your replies after lots of searching i have found the pump that is suitable for the job a jabsco 12 volt pressure pump it is self priming and has the ability to draw the water up 1.8 m vertically to prime pump and also has the ability to run dry without damaging the pump and for anyone that is interested here is a link to a fellas set up for a portable hot shower http://www.campertrailers.org/water_heater.htm
AnswerID: 490108

Sponsored Links