West Kimberley

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 23:16
ThreadID: 96675 Views:1574 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

We are currently making our way across WA with a 9 & 6 year old. We were wondering about Tunnel Creek NP & Windjana Gorge NP.

We do not have an off-road van or camping equipment. Which end is the best to attack it from Fitzroy Crossing or Derby?

We envisage we will be back in the area in October. Would we be better off to wait till then to go to these areas, given Tunnel Creek requires walking through water and at the moment it is supposed to be quite cool?

We would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

Chell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:48

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:48
It will still be cool later in the year as the water never sees any sun. Approach from either end OK, road may have a few corros but just take it easy. There is no camping facilities at Tunnel Creek only at Windjana Gorge.

Woithout caming equipment you would have to really do a day trip from Derby, that is quite a haul and one day would not do it justice

John
AnswerID: 490161

Reply By: timothy - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 09:28

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 09:28
When we went in July 2007 we spent the night in a rest area west of Fitzroy Crossing, we left around 8am and left our on road van at the entrance of the track in to Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge where there is a fairly large dirt parking area. We did a day trip out to see the sights and picked our van up in the late afternoon, in hindsight we would have towed the van in and stayed the night at Windjana Gorge. The road was in fairly good condition between the highway and Tunnel Creek and there were some fairly bad corrugations between Tunnel Creek and Windjana gorge, but taking it slowly they would have been ok. The reason we chose to go in this way was because it was the shortest way.

There were a few times in Tunnel Creek where we were wading up to our knees and the water was quite cold, but there were a few bats and the tunnel is very interesting so we didn't really notice. Both Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge were highlights of our time in WA.
AnswerID: 490165

Reply By: veight - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:09

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:09
I done Tunnel Creek in May this year. The water at the deepest only come up just over my knee - Well worth it , Temperature of the water was cold considering i come from Darwin and dont like cold water , I still done it and would recommend anyone to do it.
Take a tourch & enjoy.

AnswerID: 490199

Follow Up By: veight - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:10

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:10
Sorry "Torch"
FollowupID: 765462

Reply By: Clint & Chell - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 22:18

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 22:18
Hey guys,

Thank you so much for your replies.

Just thought I would let you know we did a day trip today from Fitzroy Crossing. We went straight up to Windjana and then did Tunnel Creek on the way back. A great day was had by all.Tunnel Creek was fantastic and definitely a highlight for Mum, Dad and the kids.

We ended up leaving by 8.30am and home by 4.30pm so definitely doable in a day.

Thanks again.

Chell
AnswerID: 490288

Sponsored Links