clutch fan gq td42

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 20:50
ThreadID: 9668 Views:2106 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
do the clutch fans on gq td42 unbolt from the 4 nuts just behind the fan or is pressed on the shaft and the water pump needs to come of to sevice them as my fan no work no more (dam it ) being nissan its wont be easy as the 4 nuts i bet ?????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:26

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:26
I have it down to under 10 mins.

I take the fan off first, then the belt comes off, with the pulley, then the 4 bolts. Careful with the studs on the pump, a PITA if they come out again.

You replacing with new?
AnswerID: 42615

Follow Up By: REX - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:36

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:36
no im going to refill did it with ny navara had no problems after that. this may be why shes geting hot on long hauls up hills
last thing i can think of ive done all the rest new radiator, bonnet vents, chaneled air to radiator fan seems alright but has started to free spin on shutdown a sighn that it need help
any ideas truckster???
FollowupID: 305000

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:40

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:40
I had mine refilled by a place we arent allowed to mention anymore as they wanted to take legal action against Exploroz, but they are south of Sydney.

Didnt work, know a few that have worked, and a few that havent. Im just going to bite the bullet and dish out the coin for a new one... :(

I've done it all too (themostat, hoses, temp guage sender, radiator, you name it) apart from bonnet vents. One bloke did the GU bonnet scoop facing the screen that made HEAPS of difference.
FollowupID: 305001

Reply By: lazylcd - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 00:18

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 00:18
hold onto your hats rex and truckster are you sitting down, replaced my cluch fan last year for the hefty price tag of $420 (nissan) but hey it works, even though we did it on the run at innamanka :oD
AnswerID: 42635

Reply By: Hendo - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:58

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:58
Ah, GQ diesels with turbos and the fan.
After a number of non-original (ie cheaper) viscous couplings, which didn't work as promised - didn't lock up enough, stopped working after a little while - I bit the bullet and bought the Nissan version, and lo and behold it worked!! While the engine will still run warmer than I would like (it has aftermarket turbo, and hi-mount winch, which impedes airflow) when the fan cuts in it actually will bring the temp down. I wouldn't waste my $$ on non-original clutch again. (I have done the radiator, waterpump stuff as well over the last couple of years).

Hendo
AnswerID: 42638

Follow Up By: colin - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 17:34

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 17:34
totally agree only way to go is original, spent a lot of money to find that out. Col
FollowupID: 305152

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 14:59

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 14:59
This is great, I love this forum. It gives me so many good ideas. I've got a 2000 4.2t/d which has a s**tload of gear and weighs in at over 3t before I load it for a trip. I've recently chopped a hole in the bonnet and tried a scoop both rear-facing and now forward-facing. I did that on New Years Day and we haven't had any real hot days (40+) here in Kadina (SA) since then. But even on a 30 degree day, going up the moderate grades of the "Hummocks" the old girl still warmed up over half way on the gauge. I've moved my big Lightforce Blitz's to the top of the bullbar (which carries a 9000lb low-mount Warn winch too) and have a 10" Davies Craig thermo fan in front of the air con condenser, next to the OE one, which I can switch on myself. I hate paying through the nose for Nissan parts as they are such a rip-off....but it sounds like a lot of people have been through the same thing and I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.
Thanks.
AnswerID: 43114

Sponsored Links