Gundabooka NP – Far West NSW (Louth-Bourke)

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 22:13
ThreadID: 96692 Views:2211 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at spending some time in this area in the coming weeks but am finding it hard to get much information about it. Whilst it has been a National Park for a few years, it is relatively underdeveloped as I understand it.
We’ll be coming from the Cobar area via the Barnato to Tilpa Road (off the Cobar - Broken Hill Highway), thence along the Tilpa-Louth-Bourke Rd to the entrance to the Gundabooka NP. A new road has been constructed into the park off the Louth Rd (so I am told by NPs) that allows access through the Park via the Ben Lommond Rd back to the Kidman Way.
I am looking for information on the Park from anybody who has visited there in the past 12 months as well as road conditions from Barnato to Tilpa. Details of (sparse) amenities in the park as well as suitable camping areas within would be appreciated.
Camperman2
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 22:46

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 22:46
Hi Gordon,

We spent one night there about this time last year. Wrote about it in a blog here

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490209

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 09:02

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 09:02
Hi Gordon,

Further to your kind blog comment - the only map I have seen was the Google map attached to the National Parks website info here, although the info given is pretty meagre.

We entered the park from the Kidman way and left the park on the western side, going out on a reasonable condition (though not much used) track to the Bourke-Wilcannia road. In dry weather it would be 2WD access, although we found the eastern access a bit rough in places. I dont recall seeing any maps or brochures but as we were using OziExplorer we didnt need them so much. Signposting was OK though.

Campsites are paid for via a self registration system. There is just a long drop toilet and possibly a water tank at Dry Creek. Would suggest taking in some firewood as there was not much available.

Hope you get nice sunny weather while there.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 765484

Reply By: Member - Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 05:06

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 05:06
Gordon,
Stayed in the Belah Shearers Quarters in May 2011 for week and had a good look around.

Read my blog here:
Outback Trip

Also a rough video of the trip including this area.

AnswerID: 490216

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon T (NSW) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:47

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:47
Thank you folks for your prompt and informative responses - most helpful.Gordon,
FollowupID: 765489

Sponsored Links