Simpson Desert Emergency Rescue

Submitted: Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 08:14
ThreadID: 96699 Views:3746 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I do not know how wide spread this has been reported.

This morning on the ABC News, an 80 year old women was rescued after a PLB was activated near Eyre Creek, out in the Simpson Desert. She was out in the desert to spread the ashes of her late husband and suffered a here attack.

The ambulance officers arrived and she was recovered back to Birdsville and then had to be flown to Brisbane. Authorities stress the importance of Safety equipment and said that the quick response and the use of the PLB saved the ladies life.

This should be a timely warning to all travellers that the importance of good safety equipment is most important and not to rely on someone else, or the attitude that I have a UHF and that is all I need.

Have a great and Safe Weekend, and BE PREPARED.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 08:43

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 08:43
Hi Stephen,

Poor lady, must have been an emotional time for her.

Thanks for the timely warning.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490222

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 15:58

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 15:58
Hi Val

It sounds like the stress of scattering the ashes of her late husband brought on the heart attack.

The most important thing was that they did have the correct safety gear and there was a positive outcome. It makes one think what would have happened if they were not prepared.

Cheers

Stephen

ps

Long time no hear. Sounds like you have a great trip to see your son. It bet it is cool over your way, the last few mornings here have been -3 and -2.

Keep Warm

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765503

Reply By: Member - Josh- Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 08:49

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 08:49
Good post Stephen. We were amazed how many people we met with only uhf or nothing at all. there attitude was we'll just wait till someone comes along. We carried our sat phone or epirb when we went on bush walks and often got asked why?? A timely reminder.

Josh
AnswerID: 490223

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:02

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:02
Hi Josh

Yes there are fare too many people that have the attitude that it will never happen to them, and then when things do go pear shape, try to blame other people or emergency services for long delays.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765504

Reply By: rainbowprof - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:21

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:21
Most interesting article . Makes me appreciate the satphone I carry and have never used. Thanks for bringing our attention to this under-reported snippit.
AnswerID: 490235

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:06

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:06
Hi Rainbowprof

I always have the motto of better to be prepared, because you never know when things can turn from good to bad in split second timing.

It is a wonder that it was not been wide spread in the Media.......the good part about the forum, you can quite often find out first hand here instead.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765507

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 14:31

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 14:31
I had a lot of words on safety and emotionally charge situations and deleted it all. I am going to be there soon and after today's chemo it hit home hard, how we have to be damned careful. Talk about timing!

We have a satellite phone. The best investment that we made for the car. All other things can be called for via the phone. Such as doing something foolish or something breaks. Even if the car burns down help is reachable. But if you do not have good comms a simple flat tyre, or just a leak in the water tank, could be disastrous.

Good outcome.
AnswerID: 490248

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 14:35

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 14:35
If I had an editor I could fix that paragraph.

I meant to say that a simple problem without comms in dissastrous. But with comms it is only as far away phone or radio call.

Still a bit nauseous and emotional after the mornings chemo and the timing of this thread guys. Sorry.
FollowupID: 765500

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:09

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:09
Hi PJR

Yes the lady was very lucky indeed. With today's affordable emergency equipment, there is no real excuse for not leaving home without it.

All the very best with your chemo treatment.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765508

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:23

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 16:23
Thanks for the well wishes. We are okay with it. Unfortunately there isn't a cure. I could last even twenty years.

You should see the bucket list. Funny! It's all full with Oz trips. Can't beat the place.

I do not blame the husbands wish. Just a shame his wife took ill. But like Val said it's a terribly emotional time. It would be like "tossing him to the wind". Phew. Just thinking of what emotions are stirred and in one very small moment intime. I am yet to speak seriously with my wife about what she wants and what I want. I am thinking about it in another light now.

It looks so easy in the movies. But that's Hollywwod fantasy. This is serious emotions that we would be playing with. Fine if we are healthy and young but as the years pass - not so healthy.
FollowupID: 765509

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 18:25

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 18:25
I like your typo.

A 'here' attack sounds very apt ;-)

But yes, plan for the worst and hope for the best.
AnswerID: 490261

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:54

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:54
Hi Sigmud

Don't you just love it. I read it a couple of time and hit the submit button. I then read the post and it stood out like the proverbial.....bugger.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765526

Reply By: old mate - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 20:39

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 20:39
Thanks for posting that up.
AnswerID: 490277

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:38

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:38
Hi Old Mate

Thanks for reading the post and taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765547

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:42

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:42
Thank you Stephen for the info . I have not been able to find any report of it on news etc but that is nothing new . Vern
AnswerID: 490281

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:37

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:37
Hi Vern

From memory it was the 6.30am ABC Radio news and when they mentioned the emergency rescue out in the Simpson, it got my immediate attention. I also looked on the Internet and could not find any mention of it anywhere. It surely must have been reported on the Local ABC News in south west Outback Queensland?

I put this post up as a 2 fold post, firstly the importance of always being prepared for any situation with the correct safety gear and secondly in the hope that someone up in Birdsville might have read this and been able to fill us in with more details.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765546

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 01:12

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 01:12
Thanks for putting that up Stephen, we have the sat phone of course, has never been needed but as I always say, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". Glad the lady is OK, how very emotional for her.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490296

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:44

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:44
Hi Deanna

Thanks for the reply. It would have been a very quick and bumpy trip back into Birdsville for the lady, and my immediate thoughts go to our friends and Birdsville residents, Ruth and Ian. I know that Ruth used to help out in desert rescues and she would have been able to relate to this type of incident.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765548

Sponsored Links