Missing shocker on trailer

Submitted: Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:20
ThreadID: 96710 Views:2089 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to leave Coober Pedy to do the Oodnantatta track and the Birdsville track, problem is we have broken a shocker mount on the CT and have one one shocker, looking for advice re the possible problems. The trailer is a full off road CT and has 7 leaf military springs, I have removed the shockie off the side where the mount is broken.
Cheers
Dave T
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:42

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:42
Dave, That sux.

Drop your speed considerably, poke along and check the leaf springs regularly. The Dampner dampens the springs (stops them going up and down) with one removed big bumps can knock you of course, break stuff etc.

I travelled 300km with a broken dampner and fixed it when i got somewhere to get a replacement. I found lowering my tyre pressure a bit helped.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 490268

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:43

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:43
Sounds like a pretty poor production quality. Possibly welded where it shouldn't have been welded and that caused the fracture.

There are people in CP able to weld a replacement bolt onto the spring plate and refit the shock or onto the body. You didn't say which one has failed.

If you can't get a bolt then a length of shaft will do, so a hole can be drilled and a washer and split pin used to hold the shocker in place. High tensile bolt is suitable to use.

What pressure are you running in the tyres?? Too hard and there is little give in the tyre and therefore the road shock is really hammering the shock absorbers and making then do ALL the absorbtion of the road conditions.

On the outback tracks like the Oodna and Birdsville you won't need high pressures at all. Preferably 30 max, so the tyre can mould over road hazards and not puncture and this also lessens road harshness delivered to the suspension.

What do you mean "military springs"??? Ones used by the military or just springs trailer springs used by trailer manufacturers which have a military wrap. BIG difference there.
If they are short, highly curved leaves then make sure tyre pressures are kept as low as practical as the spring is likely to be hard riding and this stresses bearings. axles and hubs/wheel nuts.
AnswerID: 490269

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:44

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:44
Simple 30 minute job. I'm sure there are a few places in town that can weld the mount back on. While you could continue on at a slower pace, it obviously needs repairing anyway so no point risking further damage seeing you have plenty more rough roads to negotiate.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 490270

Reply By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:55

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:55
Well it may be different for your CT, but we lost "Both" top shocky mounts on a Jayco Outback CT last year on the "Gibb"

Both came off because of poor 1/2 welds. No, we were'nt flogging it along the tracks.

When we got to Kunnunurra, went to a repair place, and they congratualated me that I was so lucky, and to leave the Bl*$%#y things off.

They reckoned that Shockies on a single axle leaf spring trailer were the biggest problem out.

When we bought the CT before leaving, I had already checked with a manufacturer of heavy duty trailers, thinking to "beef" them up.

He also told me the same thing.

Since losing the shockies, (not really lost.... they're in the back of the ute) we have'nt really noticed any detriment to the way the CT travels, and have since that time done about another 50,000 klms. Including the Gibb, Bungle Bungles, Oodnadatta, Birdsville and the Strezlecki tracks.

Now your set up may be different of course.
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490272

Follow Up By: escapesilv - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:08

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:08
I think they have a point there, We have a single axel Tambo CT and it does

not have shockies, never had leaf spring problems, and it travels like a dream

on sealed and unsealed roads alike.

I would just take the shokie off the other side, and on your way.

Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 765542

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 20:38

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 20:38
Heaps of trailers dont have shockies, so just remove the other one and keep going!! I don't think you will see must difference!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490276

Sponsored Links