Solo traveller needs advice.

Submitted: Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 20:47
ThreadID: 96714 Views:2302 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, I will be heading out to the free campground at Broke, in the Hunter Valley , next week. I will be coming up the F3 from the Hornsby end. Any advice on the best road in from the F3. It seems like the is a few different ways but I would like to know which is the easiest, with the least amount of windy or hilly roads. I am towing a Jayco expandable van. Also, has any one stayed there. If so, what is it like.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:01

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:01
You can get to Broke by either using the F3 and exiting at the Cessnock/Toronto, going through Cessnock and onto Wine Country Drive/Allandale Road and follow the signs then to Broke.

There is a short hill just past Freemans Waterhole, and there are two steep-ish hills on the approaches to Broke. Nothing too drastic, but they can slow you down.

Alternatively, you can take the Gosford exit at Kariong, take the first left off the Freeway at the lights and follow that to Laguna, Wollombi and ultimately Broke. It is longer, quite winding in parts, and not a road I would like to do at night.

I have passed through and spoken to some who have stayed there who like it. Not sure of what facilities there are, however. It is a nice roomy area though. There is a servo nearby and a shop.

Have fun.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490278

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:17

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:17
This is a selection of routes - http://goo.gl/maps/T6Nk - The preferred route is Jack's second option. If you hover your cursor over the other two (on the LHS) an extra blue line shows up on the map showing it. Click on the alternateand the driving directions change to suit.

If you amble along the first route is perfectly OK for a van. The third one has the least hills
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765533

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 23:21

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 23:21
Hi Jeni

While i can't help with your route, i have been to Broke free camp but not stayed.

Broke (Singleton Shire) – Free campground with flush toilets with barbecues and picnic area at McNamara Park spread out alongside Wollombi Brook. Three day limit.

It is a pleasant location.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490292

Follow Up By: Jeni - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:13

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:13
Thanks Motherhen, I want to base myself there while I explore the Hunter Valley. Are they really strict about the three day limit as I am staying in the area for 5 days.
FollowupID: 765543

Follow Up By: racinrob - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:32

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:32
Jeni, I've stayed there for longer than three days, the three day limit was imposed to stop miners from nearby sites setting up permanent camps which they were doing.

rr VKE237 6678
FollowupID: 765545

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 13:25

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 13:25
Hi Jeni

Although i have no personal experience, what Racinrob says makes sense. I doubt you will have any problem. It is not as though they come around marking you vehicles.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 765589

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:34

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:34
Hi Jeni,

I would take the F3 to the Cessnock exit, drive through Cessnock and head to Polkobin. The road through the wineries is Broke road and follow that all the way.
The people at the shop/servo are pretty friendly and should be able to help you somewhat.

The other road through Kulnura/Bucketty/Wollombi is a nice drive but has more hills, is a bit tighter and tends to be a favourite for motorbikes.

Travel safe,

Steve
AnswerID: 490303

Follow Up By: Jeni - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:31

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:31
Thanks Steve, I had pretty much decided that was my best option. I will explore the Wollombi area after I have unhitched the van.

If any one is passing through Broke between Mon 16th & Fri 20th, and you see my Jayco expanda van in McNamara park, stop and say hello.
Thanks guys for all your help.
Jeni
FollowupID: 765622

Sponsored Links